Search - User list
Full Version: BUG: vop sop ignore cache limit preference
Root » Houdini Lounge » BUG: vop sop ignore cache limit preference
aliax
I have use vop sop to promote color from animated texture to point attr.
When i push play this op caching until all my memory isn't complete and houdini become feeze. This is not normal because my geo is not changed. only color per-point.
cache settings from prefs is ignored for this op.
aliax
I was wrong… The problem is in COP flipbook cache. It is ignore cache limit. And clear button from cache manager isn't work.

win32, core2duo, nvidia, h9.0.795
MichaelC
Oddly I ran into this same issue earlier tonight. Vista 32, Core Duo, Qaudro 2500. I had an animation stored in picnc format, 100 frames, 480 pixels square, and was transfering the image to a grid with 200x200 divisions using a VOP SOP.

As a work around, I am now using a pic() expression in the color channels of a point COP. This works fine and my grid is even more dense, 500x500 divisions.

If you require UVs to map the image to the geo properly you can use the Vertex Split SOP to split the mesh on its UV seams and use a Point SOP (UV values in the position channels) to morph the mesh into it's UV space. Apply the Point SOP with an appropriate pic() expression, then either transfer the attributes back to the mesh or morph the unwrapped mesh back to it's original shape. Example of the workaround is attached.
aliax
i think that problem is not in vop sop. Open Cache Manager and look to COP flipbook cache and it limit. When playing - the current cache size become higher than max cache size. And clear button isn't work. So if i simply use this cop as a texture for quickshader sop - this problem occure too.
MichaelC
You're probably right, I didn't really investigate the problem when it happened. Houdini crashed with a memory error, and I just opened up a new scene and rebuilt it this way and everything worked fine. thought you might like to try it and see if it made a difference.
aliax
yes. point sop with pic() work fine. And memory is not eatting. But this is a very slow solution…
So I think problem with “op:” form. Waiting for sesi feedback.
aliax
did anybody have same problem?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.