Search - User list
Full Version: Random scale help
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » Random scale help
ollieslats
I have a cube, that I want to copy to a grid, but have the cubes taller in the center, they would scale down as the got to the edge of the gird.

try to make a “city” like grouping of polys

any thoughts?

TIA
symek
Reference in BoxSOP paremeter sizey (“Size”) in ty (“Center” in GUI). You can do this with drag and drop. Then divide it by 2. So in Center Y-axe field you should have something like: ch(“sizey”)/2.

Alternatively you could reposition pivot of a cube, for example with an expression like $YMIN which is valid in TransformSOP.

hope this helps,
sy.
goldfarb
read through this entire thread…then go back and download some of the sample files (some may not work 100% - H8 v H9)
you'll learn a ton about exactly what you're trying to do

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=3156&hl= [forums.odforce.net]
ollieslats
you have lost me sorry.

would I use some random function in the copy SOP?
probbins
You could use the Paint sop and the Copy sop stamp function. See enclosed example.
ollieslats
Got it too work using the STAMP fuction, with scale and height rand(“../copy1 etc. looks good… but Im wondering is there away to have those box ”placed"
on a sphere… like buildings on the earth, I hope I can be understood.

thanks again for all this help!!!
keyframe
You can simply replace the grid in Peter's example with a sphere.

Make sure you change the type to polygon (in the sphere sop)

Best,

Gene

goldfarb
in that file
put
ch(“sizez”)/2

in the “center z” parameter of the box1 SOP
ollieslats
keyframe
You can simply replace the grid in Peter's example with a sphere.

Make sure you change the type to polygon (in the sphere sop)

Best,

Gene

One more thing them Im stopping for the night… my brain hurts.
If I still want to see the sphere that the boxes were copied to… like the ground they rest on, how would I do that.

Man this software is cool!
keyframe
put down a merge sop, and connect both the output of the copy sop, and the sphere into it. set the display flag to the merge sop.

Gene
goldfarb
and just to be helpful…
the reason the sphere goes away is because you're only using it's points as a template to copy the boxes on to…by adding a merge SOP you can add the original sphere back into the geometry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.