Search - User list
Full Version: 3D Buzz Python/Houdini lessons
Root » Houdini Lounge » 3D Buzz Python/Houdini lessons
rmagee
3D Buzz has posted some Python/Houdini lessons on their website. Here are the lesson descriptions:

• Houdini / Python - Graphical Tool Development Pt. 1 This video is the first in a short series that covers using Python and wxPython to create graphical UI based tools for use in Houdini. In this video we cover both a system-wide and Houdini-specific wxPython installation. Once wxPython is running in Houdini, we address a threading issue that would prevent Houdini from updating concurrently with the wxPython app.

Houdini / Python - Graphical Tool Development Pt. 2
    This video introduces the Boa Constructor IDE and covers its installation. Once Boa is installed we take a look at creating a self button inside Houdini that calls a script file instead of requiring the entirety of the code to be placed within the shelf button itself. We then create a simple mechanism that causes the most current version of the script to load each time the tool is invoked. This allows for a fast workflow between the Boa IDE and testing within Houdini.

Houdini / Python - Graphical Tool Development Pt. 3 In this video we explore the Houdini Object Model and use it to create a sphere using only Python code. Once equipped with our new sphere-building abilities we turn our attention back to the wxPython app and add a button with an event handler. Finally, we combine both of the covered topics and the result is a wxPython app that can interface with the Houdini Object Model to create spheres in the current scene.

These lessons are in the Member Sponsors section which has a monthly subscription of $35. This site has provided a lot of free Houdini content over the years and are finally trying to make a little money off all of their hard work. The videos sound fantastic and I believe that there are more to come - especially if lots of Houdini users sign up and sponsor the site. If not then they move back to making content for other apps.

The Member Sponsors section can be found here:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/ms_home.php [3dbuzz.com]
Alanw
I signed up yesterday, and the Houdini Python videos are very nice. Besides that, there is going to be an entire class on Python for member sponsors starting soon, so it's a good time to be signing up.

You also get access to some of the older content. I didn't realize it, but there's an advanced VEX VTM I'd never seen, and you get access to all of the C++ training.
rmagee
There are now 16 parts to this lesson…..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.