Search - User list
Full Version: HDRshop lightgen and H9
Root » Houdini Lounge » HDRshop lightgen and H9
JonT
Hi all

Has anyone had an issue with the hdrshop lightgen plugin and houdini 9?

The lightgen file sources in correctly however fails to create the usual spotlights.

Anybody know why?

Cheers

JT
symek
The light object in H9 has changed rather dramatically. I think this is a reason. It still could be fixed though…
One thing you might consider is using Area Light with Environment option and HDR map. It does pretty the same job, easier, possibly better and even equally fast, since as far as I remember using light rig from that script required lots of lights to get decent result.

Occlusion shader with bend normals is another option. Good irradiance cache and it can fly.

HTH.
sy.
JonT
Hi

I took your advice and tried to use an env map instead of a light rig. I get very nice results when using the probes of debevecs site but my own is coming out extremely dark, almost black.

Is there a way to raise the over all light levels?

Cheers
Allegro
you may need to increase the gamma on your .rat in an img network.
JonT
Ok. The gamma was set to 2.2 when the image was created in hdrshop, i didn't have enough info to calibrate the camera curve myself.

I'm affraid you've lost me a little, how do i increase the gamma?

Cheers
Allegro
if you load your cross format image into a compositing network, using a file node, you can place a gamma node after it. You'll probably want to set the gamma to 2.2

then save out your network as a .rat file

then use isixpack though the commandline tools to convert it into an environment box type image
JonT
Hi

Yeah that helped alot, but still very dark, i guess my original images don't bracket the full set of exposures (only 14 images). Not to worry, only a test.

Thanks for the help.

JT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.