Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini for Linux Dummies
Root » Houdini Lounge » Houdini for Linux Dummies
tallkien
Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie with Linux and Just installed Houdini 6, sourced the environment, all OK (seemingly) but when i try to run anything Iget this msg:

houdini: relocation error: /usr/hfs6/dsolib/libHoudiniUT.so: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

:roll: Can somebody pleeeeaze help, I'm running RedHat 9

thanks

lf
lisux
Houdini is not tested for RH 9
Use a RH 7.X distribution, or a distribution with the same libc version, like debian woody.
Your problem is the libc version.
stevenong
Hi there,

Yes, lisux is correct to say RH9 is not supported however you can still get Houdini to work. Please try the following thread:

http://www.sidefx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1124 [sidefx.com]

Cheers!
steven
tallkien
Thanks Steven but the link you gave doesn't seem to exist, could you please point me in the right direction

Thanks

L Fernandez
stevenong
Hi there,

Doesn't clicking on the link open a new window for you? Alternatively, you can go to the Technical Discussion forum and look for the “red hat 9” thread.

Cheers!
steven
tallkien
Can't seem to link to any of the threads, read all of them listed under Linux/ Redhat.

Anyway would greatly appreciate a solution to the problem. You say it can work, how?

Thanks
stevenong
Hi there,

In the link to the thread I provided, you'll find the following:
Before you launch Houdini from a terminal make sure to set:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

I believe you can also put this inside of the houdini_setup source file as:

setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1

It cleared up my glibc_2.0 problems that I ran into.
Houdini should run after setting the above.

Good luck!

Cheers!
steven
JColdrick
Can't seem to link to any of the threads, read all of them listed under Linux/ Redhat

Actually, I meant to point this out before. For some reason, the search function in the forums is a little wonky - it returns search results for the now-non-existant forums such as the open testing one from a few months ago. As tallkien pointed out, for “Redhat 9” you get all bogus responses…

Cheers,

J.C.
tallkien
Eureka!

Thanks a million Steven, Worked like a charm

Finally, Houdini 6

Thanks again

tallkien
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.