Search - User list
Full Version: Different UV parameters for displacement map and texture map
Root » Technical Discussion » Different UV parameters for displacement map and texture map
rdane1010
I've seem to have hit a roadblock in my attempts to make some realistic looking rock objects.. I am using a displacement map for the displacement of the surface and then am using a large high resolution photo of a rock surface. The issue is that I am using a UV project SOP on the object and I have a different size for the displacement map vs the texture map, for example I want to tile the displacement map many times over while I am not tiling the texture map at all.. using just one UV seems to leave no way to specify different values for each.. if anyone has an idea on how to do this I would greatly appreciate your input.

edit: maybe this is easier than I thought? I've been reading through stuff online and seen some hints that I can just create multiple UVs for an object so I'll try that
Siavash Tehrani
Yep, you can create multiple sets of UVs. Set down a layer SOP and change the layer number. Create a new set of UVs on that layer. So for layer 2, the name of the attribute would be uv2, for layer 3, it would be uv3 and so on and so forth…
Then in your shader you can specify which set of UVs you want for which parts.
rdane1010
Thanks for the response.. I can't seem to figure out where to specify which uv layer to use.. would this be within the material or is the shader something different? I'm still pretty new to houdini so I apologize for the basic question.
rdane1010
I'm looking around more in the SOPs.. I think I have to use a layered displacement map to make this work.. guess it isn't set up to work with just a single displacement map or texture SOP.
Siavash Tehrani
Ah sorry, I assumed you were making shaders in VOPs. If you're using the Basic Displacement material that ships with Houdini you can dive inside its vopnet and change which layer it's using. Go into the shader and dive inside the uvcoords1 node. In there you will find a node named “shadingAttriUV”. It's a Shading Layer Parameter VOP, which you'll notice it has a layer option.
Hope that helps.
rdane1010
Thanks.. this definitely helps and I am learning more about the backend of how things work as I hadn't looked at the VOP networks much until now
rdane1010
Can't seem to figure it out.. if I create a material in the shopnet then does this create a vop network node somewhere? Sorry for the basic questions, just digging around trying to figure it out.. thanks for the help
circusmonkey
See the attached file.

In Vop network for the shader look for the texture vop in both the displacement vop network and the surface shader vop network. Note the nodes I have added which are blue in colour.

In the grids SOP network. MMB on the different nodes and you will see , uv , uv2 attributes added.

r
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.