Search - User list
Full Version: Apprentice Redhat 8.0
Root » Technical Discussion » Apprentice Redhat 8.0
delle
Hallo,

some questions regarding the installation because I can't get it to work.

My System:

Linux Redhat 8.0, behind a firewall, e14base.dyndns.org

error message in sesinetd.log

20:32:29 10/21/02 sesid: delle@e14base.dyndns.org: attempt checkout Houdini-Master failure
20:32:29 10/21/02 sesid: delle@e14base.dyndns.org: attempt checkout Houdini-Master failure
20:32:29 10/21/02 sesid: delle@e14base.dyndns.org: attempt checkout Houdini-Master-NonCommercial failure

must I forward a specific port in the firwall ?

UDP or TCP ?

any other tip ?

Regards
Detlef
MichaelC
I have no answer for your problem, but if you do figure it out please post the solution here. I want to try 8.0, but I had a feeling I'd have problems getting Houdini to work, so I'm still using 7.3.
MatrixNAN
I can't wait for Mandrake 9.0. Anywho I need more info about your error. When does it crap out on you? Did you setup the environment before you ran it other wise it won't work, and will give the appearance of a faulty connection even though that is not the case. It is the environment setting usally. You could always run a listener on your ports and see which port Houdini tries to access when transmitting from your computer. However I really doubt that would be the problem. I would suspect they would use the standard port ranges. I think the standard port range is 1023-65535 I could be wrong on those number I have not hardly slept in days so … lol Please forgive me if I get them wrong off the top of my head. Here is a short script I wrote to automate the process then I created a symbolic link from the icon to this shell script. I can't maya to run period but oh well. I am happy with Houdini. Works like a dream with far less hassel.

This for Master

# Note that I have choosen csh instead of sh this is important can keep houdini from working # if you execute it in the wrong shell.

#!/bin/csh

cd /usr/local/hfs5.5 # your houdini location goes there
source houdini_setup
cd ./bin
./houdini

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.