Hi guys,

I am new to Houdini so please forgive if I ask something obvious. I am trying to write a VEX extension function in C++ on Windows 7. I've set everything up correctly, compiled great, and put my customVexFunc.dll into $HFS/houdini/dso/customVexFunc.dll

Now, I edit my $HFS/houdini/vex/VEXdso file and change its contents to a single line of “customVexFunc.dll” (assuming that it'll prepend $HOUDINI_DSO_PATH to it). According to all of the help I read on the subject everything should work now and the dso should be discovered and loaded. However, no such thing happens. I check vsoinfo -v and nothing is loaded. Moreso, void newVEXOp(…) in my dso is never called.

It appears almost as though Houdini is ignoring VEXdso all together (not reading it). I've checked and its not defined anywhere else in the houdini path.

Do VEX dso's only work under linux? There is a #if defined(LINUX) clause in VEX_Ops.C sample so it seems it wouldn't even compile under windows. If not could anyone shed some light into what I could be doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!