Search - User list
Full Version: CHOP motion displayed in Channell Editor graph window. How?
Root » Technical Discussion » CHOP motion displayed in Channell Editor graph window. How?
Dave_ah
Hi all.

Quick question. The way that I do Set Driven Keys(Maya and Lightwave name for feature), where a channell is used to drive another chanell, is import that channell in CHOP with Fetch CHOP, adjust it with Delay CHOP, then Export it to a target channell. I like the way it works, fairly simple, and reliable. My question is that right now the only place where I can see the F-curve of the target channell is in CHOP Graph viewer. Any ‘driven’ channell does seem to display in Objects Channell Editor. Only manually created F-Curves appear there. However I would like to be able to see F-vurve of any channell in Channell Editor, regardless of how its generated. But I am unable to find a way to see driven channell (those with OVERRIDE) in the graph editor. I don't want to jump continiously between Objects and CHOPs, and besides there are many cases where I may need to adjust f-curves using driven channell as visual reference. So how do I view Override channels f-curves (from CHOPs) in Channell Editor? Thank you so much.

A little update on my creature training project, since some guys here and SideFX gents asked to keep them informed. The latest work in progress model screen cap are available at URL below;

http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/imgView.php?imgID=5741 [sv2.3dbuzz.com]

I was not happy with development of the limbs, and decided to redo them, starting with arms. I decided to give the creature a pseudo-humanoid arm. That is its anatomically similar to human, with four digits and opposable thumb, but at the same time, I did not want exact same musculature. I have also decided to make the finished model available free to any Houdini user. My hope is that Side Effects will accept the model and post it on their web site for anyone to download. No strings attached, just the usual stuff. No comercial use without permission, etc.. Otherwise, do with it what you will.
This is really the best way I have to thank folks at Side Effects and guys and girls here who were kind enough to help me overcome some initial difficulties and take time to answer my questions. AFAIK Houidini is the best character modeling app I have used. At this point I am competent enough with Houdini's modeling tools to offer my freelance modeling services to Houdini community. My specialty are character models and any complex hard surface or organic geometry. I am wizz with sub-division surfaces. I also suppourt Maya, 3DS MAX, and Lightwave.
I may be contacted at daverindner@yahoo.com or my cell at 917-378-6308.
I hope I am not breaking any rules by tuting my horn here.

Dave Rindner
http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showcase_page.php?userid=318 [sv2.3dbuzz.com]
Dave_ah
http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/imgView.php?imgID=5760 [sv2.3dbuzz.com]

Modeling is almost complete. I have started on shader design. Usually I start with displacement and bump maps. I am still learning how to properly apply multiple shaders and maps with multiple UVs, I combined Houdini with Lightwave. Basically I applied some VEX Shaders to flat planes, and created some patterns in COPs. I then rendered them out and did some filtering in Photoshop. I then combined the images with some built in procedurals in Lightwave. I had to render in Lightwave as Houdini apprentice is limited to 640X480.
I had this strange idea that those wisply stringy bumps could actually be subcuteneous symbiotic organisms. I imagine it would be weird to see the skin of this creature crawl.

Dave Rindner
edward
DavidRindner
However I would like to be able to see F-vurve of any channell in Channell Editor, regardless of how its generated. But I am unable to find a way to see driven channell (those with OVERRIDE) in the graph editor. I don't want to jump continiously between Objects and CHOPs, and besides there are many cases where I may need to adjust f-curves using driven channell as visual reference. So how do I view Override channels f-curves (from CHOPs) in Channell Editor? Thank you so much.

Unlink your chop viewer (ie. set the circle in the upper right side to no number). Now switch your parameter pane to where you want the chop to to override. Drag the CHOP track name in the viewer and drop it onto the parameter that you want. A menu should pop up. Normally, you would choose “Export CHOP”. Instead, choose “CHOP Reference”. This creates a channel expression that references your CHOP track. Now you can scope it like the regular channels and use it for visual reference. You can even switch between using the chop track data at certain frame ranges and manual keyframes at other ranges by keyframing your CHOP reference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.