Search - User list
Full Version: Embedded Delayed Load
Root » Technical Discussion » Embedded Delayed Load
Ponge
I'm having trouble with the delayed load shader, and I'm not sure if it's because i'm attempting the impossible, or if i'm just going about this the wrong way…

I'm building a digital asset for my university masters project which requires a delayed load object to be embedded inside of another delayed load object.

At the moment I'm loading the delayed load geo into a Geometry Object (under the procedural shader), objecting merging this Geo into another object and then rendering that baked geometry as a BGEO and material .IFD archive that is read into an Instance Geometry object.

This works for all geometry apart from the delayed load geometry shader, and I'm pretty sure this is because the object merge doesn't read the obj level information (such as the procedural shader data) when it merges in to be baked.

Now, am I barking up the wrong tree here? The reason I'm trying to do this is that I have built a digital asset to create a fleet of 50-100 ships, each one slightly different. There are common elements (such as as the sails) which I would prefer to have embedded as delayed load object, inside of another delayed load object so that the geometry information isn't saved into each bgeo.

This has been driving me crazy all day, hopefully one of the genius's that frequent this board can help me out…!

Many thanks,
Gary
Soothsayer
Does this help?
circusmonkey
This works for all geometry apart from the delayed load geometry shader, and I'm pretty sure this is because the object merge doesn't read the obj level information (such as the procedural shader data) when it merges in to be baked.

There's no reason what so ever why a delayed load cannot sit inside an geometry object. Indeed I have built a self contained tool that does this and used it with great effect on shows.

Rob
Ponge
Hi guys, thanks for the help so far.

Soothsayer, I looked over the Hip file and it's quite similiar to what I'm trying to achieve, however I'm attempting to bake out the instanced contents of the subnetwork to a Mantra archive, and then bring this geometry back in.

I've attached a hip file and bgeo's to hopefully better describe what I'm trying to achieve. Basically the point at which I believe it breaks down is in step #2, when I object merge the INSTANCED_SAIL_GEO into the OBJECT_MERGE geometry sop to render out another Mantra Archive (for instancing later).

When I display flag the object merge it doesn't render the instanced sail geometry, so I must be missing a step or something here.

Thanks again for the help guys,
Soothsayer
Ah, unfortunately I can't test this here (it says Apprentice version not supported). What happens when instead of merging you just make a subnet of the two nodes and use that to instance.
Ponge
The subnet does work in the scene, but I'm not able to render the subnet out to a mantra archive, I get an error message of “unable to find render SOP for ../subnet”

From what I understand, you can't bake out a subnet to .bgeo, you need to bake out the geometry inside, which is what I was doing with the object merge.

Thanks for the help though, I really do appreciate it!

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.