Search - User list
Full Version: Freezing under Windows 7 64-Bit
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » Freezing under Windows 7 64-Bit
Lu-Tze
When I try to change the name of a material in the material editor or in shop context Houdini will stop to respond for 10-15 seconds or so. I tried this on another machine (Windows XP 32-Bit, quadro 3700) but there was no problem. Everything else is working fine. Anybody any idea.

System: Windows 7, 470gtx, cuda 3.1 driver (because of octane…)

Maybe it is a problem of the cuda-driver?
oleg
Apparently this is simply because it's recooking the network (at least this is where the code seems to spend most of its time).

Here's a thing - go the the SHOPs context in the network editor, put down a Material Shader Builder node, and rename that - it's lighting fast, because there are almost no nodes there. However, if you put down a Mantra Surface from the material gallery and rename that, the code takes forever because every single node inside of it is being recooked.

I'm not sure why it happens on Win7 and not WinXP (assuming you were comparing identical versions of Houdini on both), but this is definitely something that shouldn't take this long.

Logged as bug #41195.
Lu-Tze
Thanks a lot… (you where right about the material shader builder … this is the interaction speed that is right)

Sven
Lu-Tze
Ok… another Problem.. this time with viewport response.

I am currently working on some models for the retro scifi contest. After the problem with the materials under windows 7 still exist, I use to work under linux (ubuntu 10.04) which has a realy great 3d-viewport responsiveness, even with high poly counts.

Because I do most of my other stuff in Modo and XSI under Windows and constantly switching the OS is not very efficient, I decided that I can live with the slow materials under windows more than with changing the os every hour.

Now I noticed, that the same scene under Windows is much slower when I try to navigate in the viewport. I tried every driver for my gtx470 I could get (old and new), but with ever the same result. Even on my old machine with a quadro 3700 with 512MB this scene can be navigated considerably faster.

By the way, under Houdini 10 it was the other way around, with the windows version beeing faster to navigate.

Is there a known issue with the new nvidia gtx cards with houdini under windows? Which driver should I use? Under Modo and XSI there seems to be no problem with the responsiveness, which is very strange.

Because I will buy Houdini Escape by the end of next month, and willing to switch my pipeline to it I would like to know if investing in a new Quadro 4000, which is the max I could afford, will lead to a faster vieport under windows 7 or only in a much smaller purse…

Any help would be highly appreciated

Sven
Lu-Tze
twod
Hm, it should bypass shading in wireframe or hidden line mode. Perhaps it's something else.

You could also try setting the environment variable HOUDINI_OGL_DISABLE_FBO = 1 and see if that has any effect, if Material Shaders doesn't.

I tried the trick with the environment variable and got back some of the missing speed. Not as fast as under Linux but now at least workable. I think I will get the quadro 4000 nonetheless,
syme
Because I will buy Houdini Escape by the end of next month

Lu-Tze, think positive, You could win a copy with that retro scifi contest. 8)
Lu-Tze
syme
Because I will buy Houdini Escape by the end of next month

Lu-Tze, think positive, You could win a copy with that retro scifi contest. 8)

Actualy I could use 2 licenses, and as I will win the contest I need only one more…
Lu-Tze
Ok, Problem(s) solved.

The Problem of Freezing when creating a new material and the slow viewport under Windows 7 64-Bit is solved …. by … removing the new gtx470 and installing the old Quadro 3700. Now everythings works smooth, although the memory drop from 1280MB to 512MB is another problem. This though will be solved too by the Quadro 4000 I will install next month.

Houdini (or the nvidia driver) seems to work a hell of a lot better under Linux compared to Wndows 7 when using the new gtx 470 card. With the Quadro it is the other way around. DonĀ“t know why this is the case (especialy the material problem under Windows), but now I can return to work for the contest (which I have no illusions of winning regardless of what I said previously ).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.