tron_thomas
Jan. 13, 2004 00:35:38
I have an Intel system running RedHat Linux 9.
I installed Houdini Apprentice, and when I try to run Houdini I get the following error:
error while loading shared libraries: libHoudiniDEVICE.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
This libHoudiniDEVICE.so does exist on the system. It can be found in the dsolib directory under the path where I installed Houdini. I'm not sure why Houdini cannot find the file.
What do I need to do so Houdini can find the needed file and run properly?
Henster
Jan. 15, 2004 10:17:15
I'm not to hot on linux. But my wild stab in the dark would be:
cd /usr/hfs6.1
. ./houdini_setup_bash
cd ~
and possibly paste that into your bashrc file.
(when you run this it should tell you the houdini environment has been initialised.
just a guess though!
stevenong
Jan. 15, 2004 12:33:25
Hi tron_thomas,
If you search through the forum, there are threads that dealt with this. The solution involves setting the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL (I can't remember exactly) environment variable in order to run Houdini Apprentice.
Cheers!
steven
JColdrick
Jan. 15, 2004 17:41:33
setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1
Actually I've found that those redhat 9 posts seemed to have disappeared from here(or at least disappeared from search

). Not sure why…
I heard a rumour this forum is run on a 10 yr old SGI box…let's all chip in for a cheapo fast linux box and tons o' storage gang!

Cheers,
J.C.
stevenong
Jan. 15, 2004 17:51:00
Hey John,
Try searching for RH9 instead.

Yeah, I'll chip in for a cheapo fast linux box. Where & who do I send a check to?

Cheers!
steven
tron_thomas
Jan. 15, 2004 23:23:37
I tried running the houdini_bash_setup script.
I also set the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL environment variable.
Neither of these had any affect. I still get the error.
I did a search for RH9 in the forums. None of the posts I found reported the kind of error I'm having with Houdini, and I did not find useful information to fix my problem.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Henster
Jan. 16, 2004 03:16:43
did you set the environment variable in a c shell? ( i dont think it works otherwise??)
if you don't have a c shell by default then you have to get one by typing:
csh
JColdrick
Jan. 16, 2004 11:37:43
The command I gave was for csh. If you want to use bash, then:
set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1 ; export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
that's shell stuff… you can alternatively run csh…
Cheers,
J.C.
ykcosmo
Jan. 17, 2004 06:31:12
you can add the following lines into your /.bashrc file
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL =“2.4.1”
tron_thomas
Jan. 18, 2004 15:30:24
I'm using Bash. I'm pretty sure I set the environment and exported the variable correctly. I could type “echo $LD_ASSUME_KERNEL” from any shell instance, and it would print the value I set it to in my Bash profile.
Does the variable have to be 2.4.1? I set the variable to the version of the kernel I am using which is 2.4.2.