Search - User list
Full Version: Render artifacts!
Root » Technical Discussion » Render artifacts!
talos72
Ok, I tried some new JPGs…..no luck! Still get those black rectangles and squares.

What is signal11?
Mario Marengo
TheUsualAlex
Oddly enough, if I set to “render as subdivision surface” while rendering with texture, mantra caught signal 11 (SEGV??).

Yes… and; well… here's some more juicy fun when rendering as subdivs:

1. UVproj + Reflections = Crash
2. (no_uv) Reflections = OK
3. UVproj (noReflections) = OK
4. UVProj + Reflections + Facet_Remove_Orient_Consol = Crash (but lasts longer) …

Could it be the eeeeeeeviill Revolve sop?
MichaelC
It's not the Revolve SOP, it's that UV Project SOP. I can see the holes when rendering as subdivisions. If I bypass the UV project, it renders fine
JColdrick
Here's some things I've found in all this:

1. Something is definitey cockeyed - just no time to figure it out right now.

2. I have been able to get rid of artefacts by ensuring that Indirect references in the Shader SOP is turned off, and that you are either rendering as Subdivs on the object level, or using the subdiv sop, but not both together…

3. talos - please test your files before they go out the door - I had to change like 3 things to get it to fail!

Cheers,

J.C.
MichaelC
OK, getting closer. It has something to do with the settings in the shader with relation to the UV coordinates.
talos72
talos - please test your files before they go out the door - I had to change like 3 things to get it to fail!

I posted the hip files with the shader settings exactly as I have them when I get the artifacts . I have done endless tweakings of settings, but there are so many possible combos and variables as you mentioned that I am still trying to pinpoint them all. I have many more shaders and objects in my hip file. 8)
JColdrick
I load it, hit render - no artefacts. I need to change the subdivision settings to get it to fail. Odd that its different here on the same version. Got no error msgs on loading, and others found this too.

Did you catch my comment about turning off Using Indirect References in the Shader Shop? It fixed it for me. The only thing left to do is to track down why all this is happening. Seems tied up in combinations of fresnel, uv coords, subdiv surfaces and indirect referencing of shader strings…

DT
MichaelC
I don't know. You seem to have found the perfect bizzarro combination of operators to create this effect. Here's what I have figure out.

Any other shader seems to render fine with your scene as is.

It happens with other pieces of polygonal geometry as well, when rendered as subdivision surfaces.

The only way to make this happen is to render the object as SubDivisions AND apply your own UV coords AND apply a texture within the layered shader. Whether the texture exists or not makes no difference, you just can't have a null for that parameter.

I found a work around though, maybe, make the jug out of NURBS. Set the curve SOP to NURBS, delete the subdivide SOP, and render geometry as is.

It could be a problem with this shader. You could try putting together a shader of your own in VOPs that does only what you need and see if that works.

A couple of notes.

You might want to set the XForm SOP's translation to 0, 0, 0, and then translate it at the OBJ level in your scene. As it is now in OBJ, the pivot for this object is way off in the middle of nowhere, that is unless of course you are building the whole room in one OBJ.

Your UVs coming out of the UV Project SOP are a mess. I dunno it that's what you wanted, but you should initialize the UV project to “best plane” so you get a nice cylindrical wrap.
talos72
Did you catch my comment about turning off Using Indirect References in the Shader Shop?

Yes, but I didn't quiet understand what you meant. Can you please be more specific as far as parameters go?

You might want to set the XForm SOP's translation to 0, 0, 0, and then translate it at the OBJ level in your scene. As it is now in OBJ, the pivot for this object is way off in the middle of nowhere, that is unless of course you are building the whole room in one OBJ.

And yes, I am building a room full of objects. I ended up taking out the objects with the problem shaders and creating separate GEO nodes for them in the object level. I don't know if it really helped the problem.

Here is another question, at Obj level what should the render setting be for the object I posted? I have most my render settings set to “geometry as is”. I am still learning all the ins and outs, so please bare with me. So far the community and this forum have been of great help in the learning process.
JColdrick
Yes, but I didn't quiet understand what you meant. Can you please be more specific as far as parameters go?

Go to Shader Sop(where you assigned your shaders)
Turn off Use Indirect References

J.C.
talos72
Cool. Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.