Search - User list
Full Version: how to append polygons?
Root » Technical Discussion » how to append polygons?
Wren
What would be the equivilant of append polygon tool from maya in houdini?

Cuz I have tried using poly knit, stitch, patch, cap…… and have boiled down to using the curve tool in polymode with snap on then merging in all the curves and fusing!!!!
MichaelC
PloyKnit and PolyCap both will do the job. You can use polyknit to bridge large areas and Polycap to close holes.
Wren
My main problem is the poly knit tool gives me a suprise everytime I use it!

Sometimes it will make a quad for me just like I want. Then other times it will make this weird mesh of triangles or it will make something weirder that crawls along the edge and has no area!

…im confused.
MichaelC
Well you have to click the points in some sort of order to get it to knit correctly. Here's and example of how to use PolyKnit.

And here is PolyCap, which actually works almost identically to Append Polygon in Maya.

Siavash Tehrani
Cool, I learned something new.
Wren
Thank you Mike for the overveiw….

I had managed to use those tools in those conditions with no problem previously. However!

There are situations where poly knit will act strangely. I will have to email you the pics of what I mean as I do not have a hosting option . Maybe there is a technique missing in the selection order.

ps. of course Ii would need an email adress first! lol Mine is glare8@hotmail.com
george
The thing to remember for PolyKnit is that the points have to zig-zag along the geometry. The best way to start is to make sure that the first two clicks belong to different sides of your geometry.

To get a triangle mesh for example:

Click on left side,
Click on right side,
Click on left side.
Click on right side
… etc…

To get a quad mesh:

Click on left side,
Click on right side,
Click on right side,
Click on left side,
Click on left side
… etc…

Hmmm… I don't think this is helping

George.
MichaelC
Mail me and I'll put them up

mdcronin1@earthlink.net
Wren
I managed to get it all under control by MMB clicking from begginning to end to create the troubled polygon.

Not exactly sure why this helps. I am assuming that it prevents houdini from trying to automate the knitting operation?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.