Search - User list
Full Version: Unable to unlink instance objects from lights
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » Unable to unlink instance objects from lights
eitht
Hello,

are there ways to get around it or is this just how Houdini works?
Thank you!

eitht.
old_school
Just use the light mask on the object triggering the instances.

Are you doing delay load instancing?
eitht
My bad for not being specific, I am using delayed load.
Was using the Instance container on scene level for point instancing, it was pointed to me that I wasn't able to unlink it (via Light Linker) as Light Mask parameter wasn't installed! Haven't wrapped my head around editing parameter interface up until now, should look at Geometry and Instance containers (or even other nodes within Houdini) as the same thing just different parameters installed.

Please correct me if i am wrong…
In case someone ends up in my shoe.

Thank you for your time, jeff.

eitht.
old_school
The Instance Object should have the light mask parameters raised up just for this reason.

Submitted the bug.

I “sneakily” added the instance render properties (parameters) to the object that is set to render the instance points instead of using an instance object.

Similar to what you did, I took the regular geometry object, went in to the Render Parms, typed inst in to the search field for render and then moved the entire instance folder over to the object.
This will give you all the functionality of an Instance Object on a regular geometry object.
old_school
The Instance Object should have the light mask parameters raised up just for this reason.

Submitted the bug.

I “sneakily” added the instance render properties (parameters) to the object that is set to render the instance points instead of using an instance object.

Similar to what you did, I took the regular geometry object, went in to the Render Parms, typed inst in to the search field for render and then moved the entire instance folder over to the object.
This will give you all the functionality of an Instance Object on a regular geometry object.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.