Search - User list
Full Version: i ++ in VOP??
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » i ++ in VOP??
jkim7979
Hello all!
I have a basic vop question.

I am trying to set up something like this vop.

y = 0
if (x >10)
y += 1

and y continues to add itself one as frame number increases.
I was able to this with add constant but without the incremental add.
basically y only adds 1 to itself once and it doesn't continue to increase as frame number progresses.
so how can I set this up in vop? Thank you for your help!
tamte
you cannot do this in simple VOP SOP since the output is not fed back into the VOP SOP next frame

to do that you need to be in another context like POP or DOP

so in POPs you can increase some attribute with VOP POP and since the particles will have that increased value next frame the VOP POP can again add to it

the same can be done in SOP Solver DOP since geometry can be fed to next frame
jkim7979
Thank you so much Tomas!
but im not quite getting what you mean by “increase some attribute with vop pop” in DOP. im using vop sop and tried to use sop solver but obviously i did something wrong because it's not working. could you please take a look at my scene file and tell me what i need to fix? thanks again!!
tamte
here is SOP Solver solution
tamte
and here is POP solution just for comparison, please look at SOP Solver first as it is commented
jkim7979
thank you so much for your help! it is exactly what i was looking for. thanks again!
jkim7979
Hi Tomas,
Im sorry to bug you again, but I have one last question. Im trying to pass point data from vopsop to voppop in popnet using your popnet file, but the data doesn't seem to go through the popnet node or even get updated. could you please tell me the way to pass point data from vopsop to popnet voppop?
Thank you so much!
tamte
$TEST01 variable is only for accessing per point values of test01 variable
and only on nodes which accept custom variables like point SOP

using it in custom parameter returns 0

parameter X is just single value and it doesn't support per point custom variables so therefore it does nothing

you can create your test01 attribute in VOP POP prior to current VOP POP so it will create per point attribute each frame which will be used for test in second VOP POP (of course it can be all done in single VOP POP)
example: vop_data_to_pop_mod1.hipnc

but if you have per point x attribute (or test01 as you call it now) and you really want to pass that value to pops for testing then you need to recreate that attribute in POPs and feed the values each frame by point() expression
because if you just let particles inherit x attribute at birth it will not be updated as your input attribute changes
example: vop_data_to_pop_mod2.hipnc
jkim7979
wow! I can't thank you enough! Thank you so so much!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.