Search - User list
Full Version: Frame by frame caching (as you playback frames.)
Root » Technical Discussion » Frame by frame caching (as you playback frames.)
symbolic
Hi,
I am trying to get a “caching process” per every new frame. Something like a “Cache SOP” attached to a network… and every time you press (+) on the time-line to advance one frame forward it stores the result. Then when you scrub between the range that you have already played it plays it in real-time.

Cache SOP will do it, but you know how you just hit the cache button and it stays there totally freezing Houdini until the caching is done.

I can possibly cheat by writing out dummy cache files to the $HOUDIN_TMP but I do not really want to fill the $TMP with crap.

Or maybe there is a way to access and make the Cache SOP do a one frame by one frame cache, with some options that can be scripted later?

Any ideas?

Thanks.
pbowmar
Actually, the Cache SOP does what you want, don't click the Cache button, but just move frame to frame and it will cache only the frames that have cooked…
WhoDjini
Symbolic
Hi,

I can possibly cheat by writing out dummy cache files to the $HOUDIN_TMP but I do not really want to fill the $TMP with crap.

Thanks.

Sorry, but I thought that was the reason for having a /tmp at all… to fil it with crap and delete it when no longer of use. :shock:
symbolic
Thanks Peter,
Well, I usually try to avoid the cacheSOP since I always forget it somewhere in my networks and it causes a bit of mess So that's why I did not know about this function. I thought that we always need to press that “Cache” button. Embarrassing

Anyway, I am using it now and it works, as it caches any frame being cooked. Thanks. It is pity that it cannot do subframes.

WhoDjini: Yes you are right, but then keeping track of those files is a bit hard, they keep overwriting each other, there is a need for unique names etc., then you forget to clean them up. Besides, I am always cautious to delete any files with scripts when working inside complex proprietary pipelines.
symbolic
Sorry, it is doing some kind of blending, yeah.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.