Search - User list
Full Version: Autorig Custom Characters !!!
Root » Technical Discussion » Autorig Custom Characters !!!
TKO
Hi all,

I have searched all over for a solution to this urgent problem. Im trying to link extra bones to an autorig system. How can this be done ?

1. I have created the initial autorig animation and deform rigs.

2. Parented bones inside the animation rig.

3. In the deform rig tried to add in the hook object and capture weight.

However the extra bones dont seem to effect the rig, other than this the rig works perfectly.

I have read on a odforce post though that the autorig system is created with a script and this is not possible, to create extra ear or wings bones.

Also is there a way to reduce the amount of bones that the autorig spine comes with as this could be linked to create a custom character ?

Any example files are much appreciated to help in building dragons tigers ects

Thanks
are2d2
TKO
I have searched all over for a solution to this urgent problem. Im trying to link extra bones to an autorig system. How can this be done ?

Any reason why you are using the autorig and not creating rigs (or rig parts) as a digital asset? This would give you more customizable rigs that may be better suited to your needs. I personally find the autorigs a great example of how to do things but not generally suited for every situation and would prolly not use them.

If you are dead set on using the Autorigs and are experienced with Python and creating shelf tools you may want to take a look at the /houdini/python2.6libs/autorig python files, but I would not recommend it.

You could also check out the digital tutors tutorials on rigging - they will point you in the right direction on how to build all of this yourself. Then I would start making some digital assets and learn how to make changes to the digital assets.
are2d2
TKO

Any reason why you are using the autorig and not creating rigs (or rig parts) as a digital asset? This would give you more customizable rigs that may be better suited to your needs. I personally find the autorigs a great example of how to do things but not generally suited for every situation and would prolly not use them.

If you are dead set on using the Autorigs and are experienced with Python and creating shelf tools you may want to take a look at the /houdini/python2.6libs/autorig python files, but I would not recommend it.

You could also check out the digital tutors tutorials on rigging - they will point you in the right direction on how to build all of this yourself. Then I would start making some digital assets and learn how to make changes to the digital assets.
TKO
Hi,

Wanted a fast way to start animating essentially, rather than setting up all the control points for custom bones as im not experienced in rigging. Thought this was the purpose of the autorig tools ? Ps i have viewed how to setup the autorig from scratch.. problem is they all come with way too many bones, though a small piece would be available for extra fingers ears ect.
are2d2
TKO
Wanted a fast way to start animating essentially, rather than setting up all the control points for custom bones as im not experienced in rigging.

Ah, I thought that you were trying to make custom autorigs or at least reusable rigs…. That is a different story. If you are just looking to animate quickly you could definitely use the autorigs. If you have your rig working as you said earlier that should do the trick…. do you have a file that you can attach? I can take a quick look at it and see what is going on.

TKO
Ps i have viewed how to setup the autorig from scratch.. problem is they all come with way too many bones, though a small piece would be available for extra fingers ears ect.

You may want to take a look again at how to setup the autorig from scratch…. when you set it up there is a way to specify how many bones are in each part (including the spine, fingers etc).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.