Search - User list
Full Version: Ocean - Wake - Splashes
Root » Technical Discussion » Ocean - Wake - Splashes
prakash_avc
Hi guys,

I am working on a shot where stormy ocean needs to be generated.

I started with Houdini ocean tool kit.

1.Ocean surface is generated.
2.When boat is interacting with the ocean foam particles is generated using cookie sop.
3.Crest particles is generated comparing the height of the wave.(Anyother better way to generate the crest particles.)

Need help in generating the ship wake and foam texture.

thanks in advance
prakash.k
prakash_avc
Tried to create wake using ripple solver but faced the similar problem as in below link

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/11714-hot-ship-wake-problemunwanted-slidings-on-the-surface/ [forums.odforce.net]

prakash.k
circusmonkey
Hi interesting subject . I have been doing some work on this and I find the best way is to use point clouds for the wake and to control how the ships moves through the Ocean. In fact you can use Point clouds to control pretty much everything./ . It would be easier if you could post a scene file of what you have so far

rob
prakash_avc
hi rob,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you brief me how can we add wake using point cloud.

I am not allowed to post the scene in internet as it is official work.

I will explain my setup.

1.Created the ocean surface using Houdini Ocean toolkit.
2.Small dummy grid is made to follow the ocean surface deformation with translation in one direction.
3.Ship is connected to the dummy grid inheriting the normal and position of the dummy grid.

I just follwed the CMIVFX HIP Tricks 2.

Now i need to create the wake from the ship interaction.

I will try to recreate the scene at home and post it.

prakash.k
mrCatfish
Don't know how the HOT works, but when I had to do this in the past, I created a trail of the boat in the ocean from a top-down camera and post processed it, (can be done with chops or feedback or sop solver probably). Then I used this as a modulation map for the ocean surface to calm it. Finally, I used this as a mask in the shader to create noises of various intensities that modulated the ocean shader.
RamaKrishna
Hey Prakash,
Chek out the peter quint tutorial on Point clouds.you will get an Idea how to use them.Its fast and poweful.
circusmonkey
Hi ,
This should help the scene requires you feed in your Ocean geometry with velocity. ie a 50mx50m grid .Plus a single point that represents the ship. Ive used a similar workflow to drive the interaction of the ship hull and waves to create foam.
Write out the pops to disk and then you can use the Point cloud in a shader to do pretty much anything. Although I am yet to get it drive displacement. When I get round to it will post up some more.

Rob
prakash_avc
Hi Guys,
@Ram : Thanks ram i will check his tuts…

@Rob : Thank you for the scene file rob.Just downloaded the file and exploring it.

prakash.k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.