Search - User list
Full Version: Geo attached to POP and RBD integration
Root » Technical Discussion » Geo attached to POP and RBD integration
drumboy354
Hello,

So I'm having problems with this. Basically what I have right now is a fractured box. I have a particle point attached to the center of each piece of the fractured box.

I can control the particles with forces which, intern, controls the box pieces.

However, the problem is that when those pieces that the particles control come in contact with a ground plane, I don't get any angular (rotational) reaction.

So I was wondering if there was someway to import those pieces into a DOP network have them react with RBD objects, like a groundplane?

I looked at the popswithrbdcollisions example file, but that seems to be using instanced geometry. Thanks!
eitht
drumboy354
So I was wondering if there was someway to import those pieces into a DOP network have them react with RBD objects, like a groundplane?

I looked at the popswithrbdcollisions example file, but that seems to be using instanced geometry. Thanks!

Morning,

not sure if the solution is this simple,
I would simply drop “Ground Plane” from shelf and apply “RBD Fracture Object” from shelf as well to your fractured box (created using VoronoiFracture SOP?).

Attaching your hip file here helps too. ^^

eitht.
drumboy354
Hey eitht!

Okay I made my hip file. Basically what's set up right now is: The points are attached to the fractured pieces. The fractured pieces are being controlled by the particles.

So now I'm wondering if it's possible to switch from the POP network controlling the pieces to an RBD sim, orrrrr something liek that. I put some notes in the file itself.
eitht
Really a few clicks of the mouse, hope it's what you want. hehe

eitht.
drumboy354
Hey eitht!

Ah that almost works. See the only problem is that when the pieces collide with the ground plane, it looks like everything blows up. I assume that's because it's getting transformations from the POPNET as well as the DOP.

That's why I was trying to figure out how to initially control the pieces with particles (until frame 15 maybe?), then let the RBD sim take over. Ponder, I'm still a beginner at houdini. So I'm pretty stumped.

I appreciate any help that I can get though :-)
eitht
You're in luck, i was taught how to do that like 2 days ago! Hahaha.

With the same hip file, just dive into “AutoDopNetwork”, under “side_window_9” (RBD Fracture Obj node) append “RBD Keyframe Active” and in the Activate Parameter, use this expression $F>15 (simply means if current frame is greater than 15, activate RBD simulation).

Sorry i'm not so sure what's causing the exploding pieces after they hit the ground, my guesses are either Density/Mass, Substeps or Division of collision geo…

There you go.

Is someone or thing bursting out of the window? hehe

eitht.
eitht
Ah, i just thought of one other reason. Because they are sent flying initially with POPs, that caused them to interpenetrate, so when RBD simulation kicks in it causes the interpenetrating pieces to explode outwards.

Maybe a more experience guy will come along and fix that for you!

eitht.
drumboy354
Just thought I'd share. Someone over at odforce.net posted this file, which was exactly what I was going for.

Basically using one object to unglue a fractured object.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.