Search - User list
Full Version: Bounding box and individual groups from fractured object
Root » Technical Discussion » Bounding box and individual groups from fractured object
drumboy354
Hello forums.

I was wondering how one would go about creating individual groups from a pre-fractured object. Let me explain further.

I have a pre-fractured box. All of the pre-fractured pieces are already named piece*. I then have a group node that groups primitives based on a bounding sphere. However, there's a problem. Say I have 10 fractured pieces and the sphere is intersecting 5 of them. Well those 5 pieces get put into ONE group. What I would like to do is put those 5 pieces into another unique name like “bounding_box_pieces”. So instead of getting 1 group with 5 primitives, I get 5 groups with 1 primitive each.

There has GOT to be a way to do this, but I am completely stumped. I've attached a .hip file as a start if anybody cared to use one.
goldfarb
conectivity
|
partition

drumboy354
Well I gave it a shot and it didn't exactly work. I think I may know the problem though. Possibly. It's that the primitives aren't staying in the group.

The bounding sphere is animated to go through the primitives but once it's not touching the primitives anymore they're taken out of the group.

Is there a way to, sort of, “preserve” the group? I attached the .hip file of me attempting to do the connectivity—partition nodes. Thanks for your time!
drumboy354
Well I attempted to do an Attribute Transfer type thing with no luck. I don't understand why this effect is so difficult for me to accomplish, lol. This is the effect I'm going for: http://www.vimeo.com/26289623 [vimeo.com] It's in the first 10 seconds. I figure if I can get a bounding box to activate already fractured pieces, I can feed those groups into a DOP network and let them react to forces.

I attached the .hip file modified a little further. Grrr, what am I doing wrong?

<edit> Fixed sentence that sounded like I was complaining about people :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.