Search - User list
Full Version: Dops - Use Deforming Geometry question
Root » Technical Discussion » Dops - Use Deforming Geometry question
asnowcappedromance
hi there,

I got the following question:

Once I told a RBD Fractured Object to “Use Deforming Geometry”, how do I tell the objects to stop following the deformed motion?
Basically I got a deforming object which is prebroken that got fed into dops. As soon as I activate the prefractured chunks (time after time) I want them to stop following their previous motion and react according to the forces that I apply (like gravity i.e.).
Right now gravity affects them but they're still being moved in position by the object that that they're previously belonged to.

Thanks,

Manuel
asnowcappedromance
I was able to reproduce my problem in a simple example scene,
please feel free to have a look at it
Unfortunately I couldn't safe the scene in the hipnc format,
you can only open it if you've got a Master licence.
rafaels
Check the attached file for the red nodes. I just reduced the number of chunks to speed up the simulation… but it should work with your original number of pieces. Also, with the RBD Keyframe Active, you don't have to check the deforming geometry on.

Cheers
asnowcappedromance
hey man,

The only problem with your scene is that the RBD Keyframe Active node seems to shift the chunks slightly in position, because you're reading the SOP Path of the GEO node instead of the “read” Node (at object level).

(If you don't know what I mean try to bypass the node for a second, the chunks will get back to their original position.)

I created the read node because in my real scene I'm dealing with an imported bgeo sequence, that doesn't have object transformations but keyframed point animations. So this method might not work in this case, right?

Any idea other ideas how to deal with this problem?

Thanks,

Manuel
rafaels
Oh, I see… Sorry about that! And good luck!
asnowcappedromance
well no problem, thanks for the help.
I figured it out myself, you got to deal with some expressions,
it's actually not too complicated
I attached the file if you're interested!

cheers,

Manu
Thanos Topouzis
Hello Manuel,

I know it has been a long time since your last post on the subject, but I was looking at your scene and it doesn't seem to quite do what you say, at least not on Houdini 12.5 (i don't know if that makes any difference). Has that workflow worked for you?

If not, have you found a solution once the pieces get activated, to not follow the deforming geometry that has sop level animation?

I would highly appreciate your input.

Many Thanks,
Thanos
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.