Search - User list
Full Version: Quadro 4000 Mac Edition performance
Root » Technical Discussion » Quadro 4000 Mac Edition performance
Jimbo55
Hello Houdini users,
Has anyone used the Quadro 4000 Mac Edition Gfx card for Houdini? If so what has performance been like, does it speed up rendering/simulation time?
I'm looking for the best GFX card for my Mac Pro, to speed up my work in Houdini. Thanks.
malexander
The Quadro 4000 is one of the best cards you can get for the Mac. Viewport performance is good in the upcoming H12, and it will accelerate many volume-based sims as well. CPU-based rendering (mantra) is not affected by your choice of graphics card. It also works well if you wish to boot Windows or Linux alongside OSX. The only downside is that you have to download a new driver from Nvidia whenever the OSX version is upgraded.
Jimbo55
Thanks for the advice.
harry_the_cat
I've put this in another topic, but sadly no replies. I've just discovered my brand new 6 core computer with a firepro 7800 card has issues with houdini - like I can't use the edit sop, or if I change the ogl setting I can use it but not see textures (sigh). Is the quadro 4000 PC compatible (i'd guess yes) and a ball-park price as I want to replace this ATI card….ta
malexander
Have you updated to the most recent driver? We have an internal FirePro 7900, and apparently the 8.85.7.2 FirePro driver resolved a lot of the issues (which we just discovered yesterday). Hope that helps!

Here's the Win7 64b link [support.amd.com].
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.