Search - User list
Full Version: Vex and Cvex differences
Root » Technical Discussion » Vex and Cvex differences
wandersonp
Hello everyone!

I'm starting to study vex, but I heard about cvex too, and I don't know how the differences between both.

What differences?

Thanks

Wanderson
symek
wandersonp
Hello everyone!
I'm starting to study vex, but I heard about cvex too, and I don't know how the differences between both.
What differences?
Thanks
Wanderson

CVEX allows C++ developers to embed a support for VEX code execution inside their plugins. It means that all general purpose functions defined in VEX can be used by artists to model a behavior of a plugin. Some of them though, those related to specific context of vex won't work, like du() dv(), which compute derivatives of shader's variables inside mantra - this is fairly obvious. Also IN and OUT of this vex code will be defined by a plugin - don't expect from a geometry operator to write to Cf variable like Mantra does . So basically any differences between vex and cvex will be forced by a context/plugin, the language stays the same. Also, afaik embedded vex machine is not multi-threaded by itself, so this is on developer's side.

Take a look on a FurSOP, or VolumeVOP as they are examples of CVEX implementation. From an end-user perspective, it's stiil VEX, but shaped to the actual context of a plugin.
wandersonp
Thanks SYmek.

wanderson
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.