Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini 6.1 on Linux (Fedora Core 1)
Root » Houdini Lounge » Houdini 6.1 on Linux (Fedora Core 1)
jojo
hi,
i follwed the instruction to setup houdini on Linux. And after all that setup i get this error:

# houdini
houdini: relocation error: /usr/hfs6.1/dsolib/libHoudiniUT.so: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

any ideas?
jojo
i found the fix here:

http://www.maplesoft.com/support/Faqs/Maple8/Installation/12.shtml [maplesoft.com]

all i had to do is export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 for basch

or add this line to the houdini file that i am suppose to source

setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1

but now i have ome more problem. i could not get the license automatically and hence i have to do it manually. but the server name for my computer comes up as localhost.localdomain and the houdini script that gives the licenses will not accept this as a server name.

any ideas on how to change this in Linux?

George
edward
Do a search in this forum. This has been covered lots of times already.

For reference there's an entry in the odforce wiki that deals with platform issues:
http://odforce.net/odwiki/index.php/PlatformIssues [odforce.net]

(perhaps people should be updating this based on their experiences?)
jojo
hi,
thanks..now that it works i will try asking something else.

it actually works better in Linux than on XP on the same computer. may be it is some setting i haven't done in Windows. :x

George
Wren
Hey im getting ready to set up my box with Redhat. But im confused as to what to choose.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of installing Fedora compared to RH 9?
wolfwood
Redhat discontinued the “Redhat” product line. The only service/product that they now sell is RedHat Enterprise Linux. It costs Redhat a lot of money to support their simple distros (Redhat 7,8,9) so they dropped that line in favor of a more money generating enterprise solution.

As of April 1st Redhat 7,8,9 are no longer supported. There won't be anymore fixes and/or security updates. I believe their up2date service will still run for a few more months.

This is Fedora comes in. Fedora can in some ways be considered RH 10. RedHat not wanting to hurt the Linux community by no longer have a “redhat” distro decided to merge with a few other linux projects. Thus Fedora was born/expanded depending on how you look at it. Fedora is going to be a lot more bleeding edge now since its being developed by the linux community in conjunction with Redhat. Redhat is still leading the way in Fedora's development partly so they can use it as test bed for their Enterprise Linux.

So what does this mean? Fedora is Redhat but with a Debian style development model. (Community instead of company.)

Moral of the story is….
….use slackware.

:wink:
wolfwood
I noticed that Pixar now “supports” SUSE linux 9 in addition to Redhat 7 & 9. I think it might be limited to 64 bit machines though.

jim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.