Search - User list
Full Version: displacing sphere type particles with rest position
Root » Technical Discussion » displacing sphere type particles with rest position
csmnt
Hi,

For my scene I need lots of individually noise displaced sphere particles. Instancing is not really an option as writing out the ifd takes ages. So I am using the sphere particle render type in pops, which works great as I can still displace them. The problem is though, that I dont want them to move through the noise but have it stick to them(and animate the noise later).
I tried setting up rest position and it also seems to work, bit it kills the noise and displaces the spheres uniformly, just adding to the pscale. My guess is this happens because sphere type particles only have just one primitive and one normal - it's just strange that applying displacement without rest position works.
I have added a simple example scene to illustrate the problem.

Is there a way to use rest position with particle sphere type?

Thanks!
Erik_JE
I would use instancing with delayed load of a sphere and use point id to offset the displacement for each sphere. Then if you do the transform in object space in your shader it will stick for each sphere.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.