Search - User list
Full Version: h12 ifds and h11 mantra
Root » Technical Discussion » h12 ifds and h11 mantra
zephyr707
Hi there,

I'm reading all about H12 and the performance enhancements and am quite impressed. I had a question regarding rendering that hopefully someone can help me answer. If I generate IFDs in H12, can an H11 mantra render them or will it have to be H12?

thanks
z
old_school
ifd's contain binary geometry and that has changed from H11 to H12 so that may be the biggest issue.

I just did a test of a simple scene and confirmed the issue generated in H12 and attempted to render with mantra in H11.1:

mantra: Error loading geometry /obj/sphere_object1/shpere1 from stdin

fyi this object contains a volume primitive.

Best to use the same render engine as the scene that generated the ifd.

You can create geometry out of H12 and give the .bgeo.classic extension to load in to H11 and generate ifd's from there and render with Mantra.
mark
jeff
ifd's contain binary geometry and that has changed from H11 to H12 so that may be the biggest issue.

I just did a test of a simple scene and confirmed the issue generated in H12 and attempted to render with mantra in H11.1:

mantra: Error loading geometry /obj/sphere_object1/shpere1 from stdin

fyi this object contains a volume primitive.

Best to use the same render engine as the scene that generated the ifd.

You can create geometry out of H12 and give the .bgeo.classic extension to load in to H11 and generate ifd's from there and render with Mantra.

You can also set the environment variable
HOUDINI_GEOMETRY_FORMAT = hclassic

This will cause embedded geometry to be saved in .hclassic format. Please note that the old .bgeo/.geo format doesn't support all the features of the new geometry library in H12.
zephyr707
ha, i love how you tell me that it won't work and then show me how to make it work, you guys rule! very cool stuff, thanks for this helpful knowledge.

as a followup, what features of the new geometry library in h12 wouldn't be supported? I was reading about pyro clustering, if I use this .bgeo.classic/.hclassic technique and generate ifds from h11.1 to be rendered on a farm of h11.1 mantras will this work or is that feature not supported?

thank you much,
z
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.