Search - User list
Full Version: Scatter on edges!
Root » Technical Discussion » Scatter on edges!
csp
Is there any techiqe to scatter point only on adges or close to the adges?

If the above is not possible, how can you delete the faces of an poly object but keep the edges or convert it to cage/wireframe.

update
emit particles from the edges is one idea which just came on my mind, but still I would to know if anyone knows something more or has some more efficient idea.
old_school
Many different ways to do this.

Use an Ends SOP and Unroll in U to open up the polygons first.

You can use a Resample SOP and create a whole lot of points followed by the Pointjitter SOP to randomize the points.

Iso Offset after the Ends SOP and use minimum distance and increase the offset. Follow with Scatter SOP.

In H12 use the new Fluid Source SOP after the Ends and it chooses minimum as the default. It has the offset value as with the Iso Offset SOP but also has a feather width. Follow with Scatter SOP.
csp
jeff

Use an Ends SOP and Unroll in U to open up the polygons first.

You can use a Resample SOP and create a whole lot of points followed by the Pointjitter SOP to randomize the points.

Iso Offset after the Ends SOP and use minimum distance and increase the offset. Follow with Scatter SOP.

In H12 use the new Fluid Source SOP after the Ends and it chooses minimum as the default. It has the offset value as with the Iso Offset SOP but also has a feather width. Follow with Scatter SOP.

thanks a lot Jeff! As always very helpful and informative.
csp
jeff

Jeff, about this way, what outpute type should have on on the iso offset sop? Because I cant get usable results.
goldfarb
where did PointJitter come from?
it's awesome!
old_school
Here's the example file I built while answering above using all three methods.

Using minimum distance is tricky with the Iso Offset SOP. The New Fluid Source SOP makes it much easier to get predictable results.

I built the attached in H12 and uses the Fluid Source SOP but it actually comes through intact in H11, unlocked I might add but still works. Surprise surprise.

The Point Jitter SOP was added way back in H9 I believe, maybe even H8. I use it to quickly jitter geometry feeding in to simulations as you can change the seed per wedge pass.

I also use Point Jitter SOP after the fact on particle fluid sims and particle sims for additional passes where I just want to fluff out stuff.
goldfarb
thanks Jeff…
I think pointJitter would be very useful in styling hair….
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.