Search - User list
Full Version: Problem CPU usage
Root » Technical Discussion » Problem CPU usage
Mrlours
Hello,

I'm actually using the new H12.0.564 and working on smoke simulation, but when i render it with mantra i get a little problem.

When i render a frame in the render view with the default mantra node all My 8 cores CPU are used (99%). But if i render all my frame via the render button it only use 60 % max. In the render mantra node i checked use Max Processor and tried also to put 8 in the thread count but nothing change.

what is the key please?
thomasAnderson
Check in BIOS for the multithreading is enabled.
and at the time you run H12 close the antivirus software's, it will decrease the CPU usages.
mark
Mrlours
Hello,

I'm actually using the new H12.0.564 and working on smoke simulation, but when i render it with mantra i get a little problem.

When i render a frame in the render view with the default mantra node all My 8 cores CPU are used (99%). But if i render all my frame via the render button it only use 60 % max. In the render mantra node i checked use Max Processor and tried also to put 8 in the thread count but nothing change.

what is the key please?

The render view forces ray-tracing on. Ray-tracing can often have better multi-threaded usage. Try setting the render engine to ray-tracing on the output driver to see if there's a difference.

Depending on your scene, micro-polygon rendering may render faster, even though there's less threading efficiency.
csp
well, I did my test with 7x2GHz processors on my machine and here is results:

H12
Micropololygon Rendering: 0:31 - max 59% of CPU
Ray Tracing: 0:15 - max 100% of CPU
Micropolygon PBR - 0:26 - max 59% of CPU
PBR - 0:13 - max 100% of CPU

H11
Micropololygon Rendering: 0:47 - max 59% of CPU
Ray Tracing: 0:18 - max 100% of CPU
Micropolygon PBR - 0:34 - max 59% of CPU
PBR - 0:12 - max 100% of CPU

(The scene was simple, 200 spheres with) Mantra Surface and reflections enabled.)
symek
i9089303
(The scene was simple, 200 spheres with) Mantra Surface and reflections enabled.)

Which is probably not the best way to test render performance… Make a real scene, with a couple of hundred of thousand polygons, some textures, and optionally motion blur. Also make sure your final outputs quality match.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.