Search - User list
Full Version: Shading Practices
Root » Work in Progress » Shading Practices
ragupasta
Hey.

I usually shy away and shade elsewhere instead of Houdini. Typically 3ds max where all the math is hidden away where it cant be used.
So I've decided to actually get some shading knowledge right inside Houdini.

I'm starting right back at the start.

A watermelon!
After this is done I will move onto other various fruits and veg as good practice.

Any suggestions into any images here would be appriciated.

Info: This is just the basic surface shader at the moment. There is no reflections yet, I threw a lighting model in there just for now, ill change that later. There is no bump/displacement that is to come later.

Im a bit unsure about how I've broken up the green stripes, I would much prefer to peturb the edges of the dark green falling off inwards instead of it being right across the green. However my ref pictures do actually have watermelons with this feature.

Anyways also needs an enviroment and a much better render.

Rendering PBR.
pbowmar
Hi,

First off, congrats on deciding to get your hands dirty and build your own network! It's the way to go for serious work IMO.

Could you post up your .hip file? It's hard to see what all the node settings are from the screen grab.

Great start though!

Cheers,

Peter B
Dennis Weil
Good start

And like Peter said it's definitely the way to go.

You can perturb a noise pattern by feeding another noise into its position input. Or if you have uvs you could use uvnoise to achieve this effect.

-dennis
AlexNoq
Nice work!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.