Search - User list
Full Version: Crash with Houdini 10
Root » Technical Discussion » Crash with Houdini 10
jimc
I'm using Houdini 10, in the process of making a tutorial video. I've got one instance where I'm recording (1280X720 windowed area of the screen). I have another instance open, off to the side where it won't be picked up by the screen recorder, and fairly small, but enough that I can see the network editor to make sure I'm modeling the right thing.

At some point, as I'm modeling in the primary houdini instance, it will crash, usually within 5-10 minutes of it being open. The crash, which does display the little error dialog telling where the hip file is being saved, completely locks up houdini, which is strange because usually once you dismiss the initial error dialog houdini pops up another dialog and then when you close that the program exits.

I've been doing this for a while now, but the crashes only started a couple of days ago. Any ideas on what might cause this? Several weeks ago I upgraded the RAM on my system and video card, but had no issues at all until a couple of days ago. No other graphics programs have been acting weird either. Is there someplace where a log file is written out to?

I'm running H10.0.1131 Apprentice HD, I had the previous production version installed, but thought maybe installing a newer version of 10 might help.
I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, 12 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 4000, latest drivers.
sabareeshrg
may be u need to check your gpu
driver updates

if you are using camtasia recorder i think there is an option to
enable gpu accelarated recording
jimc
Unfortunately it seems to happen even without Camtasia active. If I have 2 instances of Houdini, this seems to be what triggers the crash. Is there a log somewhere I might look at? Or is there some other diagnostic I can look into?
malexander
Does it write a crashlog_<username> to the temp directory for you? That might help narrow down the cause.
jimc
I'll check tonight when I get home. If I find anything I'll post it here. Ultimately I need to switch to H12, but I'd really like it if I could keep H10 working in the short term.
jimc
Yes, there is a file like that. I've attached it here

Note that the version is 10.0.1131. The earlier ( I think it was 734) version also had the same behavior, which is I why I thought I'd try a newer version. Now I can't find the earlier one to download.

From Houdin 10 about box:
Platform: windows-x86_64-cl14
OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL Renderer: Quadro 4000/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.