Search - User list
Full Version: Pyro Shader Displacement
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » Pyro Shader Displacement
pelos
Has any one had time to play with the pyro shader displacement,
i wonder how does it work, does it create noise on the volume, or does displace the voxel to create wispy fealing in the edges,
since the field say N i am assuming Normals.

any ideas?
Alejandro Echeverry
Mantra dice the voxels in to microvoxels (like other surfaces), then displace along a given vector; In this case you can define a vector from a 3d noise directly in the pyro 2.0 shader or calculate the gradient of the density to use that as a vector field (normal).

Here is an example file, unfortunately if you use any of the raytrace engines, the render gives nans and very odd artifacts.
pelos
that's awesome, so the displacement is doing the noise?

how can i apply it to a pyro sim, i did a sphere and put a flames with smoke preset.
the smoke is not a SDF its just density right?
Alejandro Echeverry
You can calculate the gradient from a fog also, if there is enough density change in the field (high dissipation fields) to determine the gradient, if not, convert to a sdf in sops with a volumesdf node then calculate the gradient.
Nic Yiallouris
I'm struggling to get my head around this in H13.

Would you do this with an “iso offset” or with the “vdb analysis” ?
Alejandro Echeverry
Now you can use all the nice vdb tools to do this!! Its waaayyy faster!!
Nic Yiallouris
Perhaps you could shed some light on my workflow, I've attached a file where I've started to calculate the gradient but I'm not sure of my methodology.
Alejandro Echeverry
Here is the correction. Hope that helps!
Nic Yiallouris
You are a master !

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.