Search - User list
Full Version: Repeats with a time shift
Root » Houdini Lounge » Repeats with a time shift
talsit
I need to copy what another channel's value, but 14 frames ago.

I know how to repeat, and I know how to get another channel's value, but not how to do both.

Also, how to repeat with offset, that is, i want to repeat what has been done 14 frames ago, but the 1st value of the repeat should be the same as the last value of the repeat source interval.

Makes sense?

Umm.. ok, thanks!!
danteA
No. Got a solid example with some numbers, for say 5 frames ago?
talsit
well… lets see….

You that in maya and max there is a way to repeat an animation curve (channel in houdini). Or rather, you define what value the animation curve should return in the region after the last key frame. It's by default a constant, that is, it won't change, and there are other posibilities, like repeat, and repeat with offset.

Well, I need something like that repeat with offset.

(…loading maya to graph a screenshot…)

vs

Ok, get it now?
danteA
so what you want is a repeat with value offset. in that case try:

repeat(frame_start, frame_end) + vmatchin()

Replace frame_start with the frame number of where you want to start repeating and frame_end with the number of where you want to stop repeating. Notice that with vmatchin(), you get complete control over the slope with how it repeats. Since you want it to repeat simply horizontally, the tangent will probably need to be set to 0.
talsit
I ended up needing something slightly more complex, and I used this:

chf ($CH ,956 + ($F-955)%12) + (chf ($CH, 966) - chf ($CH, 956)) * floor (($F-955) / 12)

BTW, is there any help that catergorically states all the functions available in houdini?
danteA
The help files? There's also the “exhelp” textport command if you want a terse listing.
talsit
help files…. help files….

do you by any change mean the pdf's??
thekenny
not to my knowledge. there have been very little tutorials, examples in the mystic art of the textport.

you could search the archive mailing list for hscript or textport to find real examples of what can be done.

i've always said the textport is more powerful than most people give it credit. but unlike mel, hscript commands are just doors to houdini that sidefx provides. maya is written all in mel so you can always get at something for the most part. there have been times where the textport functions have left me wanting more. the bright side is if you left sidefx know what you are trying to do and what would help, it might make through that RFE process and end up as a feature. they are really good about that kind of stuff.

good luck
-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.