Search - User list
Full Version: Help cards
Root » The Orbolt Smart 3D Asset Store » Help cards
compositor
Here is a link to the FAQ on help cards.
http://www.orbolt.com/faq/question/10/how-do-i-include-help-my-assets [orbolt.com]

There are some gotchas to watch out for so I'll post them here.

1) When copy pasting text into the help card (asset type Properties>help tab),
the copy paste has a unix-style-MMB paste:

Whatever text was last selected, in any window, is what gets loaded into the copy/paste buffer. MMB will paste it. As a result you cannot select text in this window and paste/replace it…because selecting the text loads it into the buffer. I know, a bit unusual unless you're familiar with Unix or some flavors of Linux.

2) Using embedded images can be tricky. Ill make a separate post about this.
  • Icons must be square.
    -png or jpg format are good choices.
    -If you use embedded images, you will have to update your help card to reflect the new internal name of your asset. The reason for this is that assets get renamed at upload time (for versioning, and to ensure that each one has a unique name.
animatrix_
SESI finally fixed the pasting issue, the MMB now uses a different clipboard I think. But copy paste to replace existing selection works. I never use the MMB pasting anyway

One thing that would really help is if we can select all text using Ctrl + A while in this tab. Ctrl + A works for parameter fields but not here, so the only workaround is to do these steps:

1. Alt + E to bring the extended editor
2. Copy
3. Go to the help tab of the asset you want to paste
4. Alt + to bring the extended editor
5. Paste
6. Save
7. Close the extended editor

Having this feature would be pretty sweet and save us 7 steps and make things more uniform across the board.
compositor
For the cutom icon in the help card, this is specified in…
Type Properties>Help

To embed images in the help card, the correct syntax is [ImagepdefObject/operator_type?image.png
Your asset's operator type is right in the Edit Operator Type Properties

* Alternately you can use opdef:. in an asset's help to refer to sections in the asset instead of filling in the full node name, e.g.

#largeicon: opdef:.?image.png

* you help card must begin with a title for icons to show up in the help file.
= title =
* Remember that browsers don't know how to display .pic files,
so you should use PNGs or JPEGs.

* When you store an image in a section in an asset, the section needs to
have an extension in its name (e.g. “icon.png” instead of “icon”) because
the help server needs it to tell the browser the MIME type of the file.

Note that the help card does not support .pic images
-use png or jpg
-icons must be square

For custom images embedded in the help card, this is specified in…
Type Properties>Help
e.g. [ImagepdefObject/operator_type?image.png

You might have to restart houdini to update, I think it caches all icons on
startup.

Opedef'd images must be embedded via the Extras tab.
eyevex
Hey guys there some stuff for the help card less than perfectly documented, but if you pick from many of the pretty ones included by SESI you can find it in the installation dir….

On linux its by default

/opt/hfs12.1.73/houdini/help/nodes/sop

of course replace your specific houdini build and node context
Then search for the node name…

on linux for ie sphere…
ls | grep -i sphere

and open the txt file containing the wiki markup and there are some great examples, including how to use standard tab help ie the “Transform” Tab is usually the same if promoting the whole folder.

Doing this I was able to make far nicer cards than previously that looked more like the included ones … figure Id put it out there if it helps anyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.