Search - User list
Full Version: Custom Asset icons
Root » The Orbolt Smart 3D Asset Store » Custom Asset icons
compositor
Q: Is there a way to use a custom icon for an otl's network node display?
For the custom Icon on the network node, this is specified in…
Type Properties>basic> Icon
e.g. opdef:Object/operator_type?image.pic

-48x48 is a standard res.

For the custom icon on the tab menu, this is specified in…
Type Properties>Tools>Options>Icon
e.g. opdefObject/operator_type?image.pic
compositor
Q:
I had custom node icons working for
opdef:Object/militaryhelicopter?Helicopter_Icon48x48.png .

After I uploaded the otl file to the store, my icons broke! Wassap?

A:
The asset gets renamed at upload time and this breaks custom links.
In this case, the helicopter has been renamed from militaryhelicopter to SideFX::militaryhelicopter .

So embedded images need to be changed to reflect the new name:

namespace first then object type has to go with node type

opdefideFX::Object/militaryhelicopter?Helicopter_Icon48x48.png

….yes, we're looking into a fix for this. :^)
compositor
Here's a tip from one of our users:

Nobody in this thread has made reference to .svg support. Personally I generally do my icon creation in Inkscape and like to keep them in vector format when I dump them in the otls. Happy Houdini and the help server have no issues with referencing the embedded .svg icons.
eyevex
Ahhh I was just goin to ask about that.

There seems to be a bit of confusion I think caused by several things all being called “icon”… additionally here …

http://www.orbolt.com/asset-guidelines [orbolt.com]

poses a couple more questions in the “Icons” section…

600x600 required size.
.png format.
No banners/text unless the asset is text-focused.
Icon designs should take up the majority of the 200 pixel square to avoid large empty spaces.

– what is this 600x600px icon and where is it used? Id assume this is NOT to be embedded? Does this “icon” refer to the tile that shows up in the asset browser etc…?
– 200px sq icon is for what and different from the 600?
– the docs only mention pngs

Typically my assets embed an SVG which is used for the TAB, node and potentially shelfs, parm panes etc… AFAIK the help card requires (is this still true?) a png ( I think 48x48px png though I seem to remember using 64px at some point) This is what I typically have done and would like to keep on doing it, if its proper in this case too. Which of course still leaves the question of the Orbolt tile and exactly what the section quoted above is about? Also, will the upload process change any of the icons I set?

Sorry about all the confusion
compositor
There are several places you could provide an icon, and there are different image formats, and syntax required to use them, depending on their use.

Store Preview icons
600x600 png image
This image, requested at upload time, is your assets store icon. Perhaps we should rename it to something like “asset preview image” to be clearer.

Help cards

Can display numerous formats for a variety of reasons.
Image display e.g. diagram or render
“Factory Installed” Houdini help icons
Your custom icons

Custom Node Icons
Appear on the node in the network view
Appear on the tab menu.
eyevex
That clears it up, 2 embedded, 1 for help, and an svg should be ok - everything as the norm except the only new thing is the 600x600 store tile - which is NOT embedded.

Got it, thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.