Search - User list
Full Version: system crash when writing out large(1gb) files
Root » Technical Discussion » system crash when writing out large(1gb) files
stkeg
this happens for both houdini 12 and 13

centos 6.4

when i write out large files (like *.sim) that are about 1gb or over, my whole computer will restart.

houdini should be able to handle any size files right?

anyone else experience this?
Sadjad Rabiee
Yes ,Houdini can do this , I wrote very bigger file's size (both sim and bgeo) with Houdini ,for example I had 3.5 GB file size for each sim file on some of my projects !!!

Maybe that's because for your Hardware or OS :?

I tested it with 32 GB and 48 GB RAM on Windows 7 and Linux Mint 15 !!!
stkeg
anyone else using this hardware/OS setup and having these issues?

asus z9pe-d8 ws
centos 6
tricecold
my buddy has been simming a giant smoke simulation on h13 centos 6.3 , file sizes go as much as 30gb/frame. We didnt have any problem, until it started swapping 128gb machine. I dont know if it makes a diffrence, but we are using Lustre filesystem
Sadjad Rabiee
tricecold
my buddy has been simming a giant smoke simulation on h13 centos 6.3 , file sizes go as much as 30gb/frame. We didnt have any problem, until it started swapping 128gb machine. I dont know if it makes a diffrence, but we are using Lustre filesystem

Wooow :shock:
30GB per frame !?
is it compressed file !?

That's only show us power of the Houdini :shock:
tricecold
Joker386
tricecold

Wooow :shock:
30GB per frame !?
is it compressed file !?

That's only show us power of the Houdini :shock:

No No it is not compressed and we also had to have the vel fields, thats why it got so huge, but never the less we were also quiet impressed, it was reaching 3hr/frame at around frame 397 on a dual Xeon e5-2620.
Sadjad Rabiee
Ok Thanks 8)
stkeg
tricecold

are these 30 gig files *.sim?
tricecold
No they are bgeos, with volumes with some extra fields, gradient,velocity rest etc. Oh I can actually show now since the trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTte6BQndTQ [youtube.com]

1:57 altough thats pretty much the beginning of cache, but the sim was used on plenty of shots including close ups, which was pretty impressive we could put the camera showing %30 of the sim yet still had enough detail.

But the image quality there is pretty bad.
stkeg
i'm just wondering if *.sim makes centos crash and *.bgeo doesn't

if i were to use *.bgeo though, would i be able to access particle information (i.e. velocities, vectors, age, etc)?
tricecold
You can add whatever extra fields you want to import to the BGEO froim the DOP import fields ,

But I also don't think the sim files are crashing your Houdini, because even if you export or not every field that would be in the sim file is calculated every frame, regardless if you are writing the sim files to HDD or not.

If you have a lot of inputs for the simulation, trying cashing every source to HDD first,
This way you will know your source is not the problem,
So you can focus on the DOP net

Better share a hip file if you can, That would help a lot.
anon_user_37409885
stkeg
when i write out large files (like *.sim) that are about 1gb or over, my whole computer will restart.

h

How much Ram have you got? The only restarts Houdini has ever forced is running out of OpenCL ram - but that was before and might be fixed now.
tricecold
just to be sure, if its an intense sim utilizing %100 of the cpu, it could be a PSU issue also, Usually PSU issues restart the entire systems.
stkeg
64 gb. i've been keeping an eye on the ram as the sim is going.

MartybNz
stkeg

h

How much Ram have you got? The only restarts Houdini has ever forced is running out of OpenCL ram - but that was before and might be fixed now.
stkeg
it's a high quality 1000 watt power supply.

tricecold
just to be sure, if its an intense sim utilizing %100 of the cpu, it could be a PSU issue also, Usually PSU issues restart the entire systems.
stkeg
it hasn't been crashing since i've been using ubuntu. the difference that i notcied that my motherboard had a code of 00 when running centos. when running ubuntu it shows AA. i think it is saying the operating system is running in ACPI mode.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.