pbowmar
Sept. 5, 2004 22:24:14
So, almost 50% of the time, when I try to highlight something in, say, a Type Properties “Edit Vex” area, or an Asset's Edit Contents script section, or really anywhere the “Houdini editor” is used, it fails. It cuts every time, but if I paste, about 1/2 the time, it pastes nothing, and since I cut it, it's gone!
Obviously, I don't use the Houdini editor, but am I the only one? This seems too annoying for others not to have noticed…
Linux RH 7.3 7.0.181
WinXP 7.0.181
IsStuff
Sept. 6, 2004 03:46:39
Yes and the answer is if you click with your mouse you loose the selection, so you need to use the arrow keys to go to the new position, where you want to paste then hit ctrl V.
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2138 [
odforce.net]
pbowmar
Sept. 6, 2004 12:29:06
Uh, hmm. I'm pretty sure this is something different. In the textport, yes, I can see that. However, I often want to CUT and paste, not copy and paste. Also, in 2000+ lines of VEX code, I will not be using the keyboard to scroll through it )
Obviously, I just pop ip VI with Alt e to work around it, but for small things it would be lovely if it just worked correctly.
IsStuff
Sept. 6, 2004 18:41:09
Yes I find that ctrl X just deletes and doesn?ft copy, and it shouldn?ft be a big ask not to dump the selection when you use the mouse.
edward
Sept. 6, 2004 22:05:06
Where? It works for me.
pbowmar
Sept. 7, 2004 00:39:42
Hey Edward,
Sometimes it works, but never reliably enough that you can use it. For example, I just spent 2 months creating VOPs, and almost never did the cut/paste work. That's on Linux RH 7.3 but I've never had it work reliably on any platform.
Just keep trying, it'll fail )
Cheers,
Peter B
JColdrick
Sept. 7, 2004 12:18:50
Yup, just to chime in, on 7.0.171, SUSE 9.1, this only works sporadically too. At first I thought it might be related to the Linux desktop behaviour of selecting text auto-stuffing things into the clipboard, but this doesn't seem to be the case. It's possible something in Houdini is triggering this action, I suppose…filling the clipboard with an empty string. It really does appear to be quite random…
Cheers,
J.C.
edward
Sept. 8, 2004 01:53:53
So no one has some steps for me to reproduce?
JColdrick
Sept. 8, 2004 09:16:29
RMB on an asset and edit it, go to the VEX or Help page with lots of text in it. Start randomly selecting text, Ctl-X, which cuts it, then paste it somewhere else with Ctl-V. Perform this randomly over different areas…I can get it to start randomly doing nothing with Ctl-V after two or three tries at this.
I'm about to try the latest and greatest - I'll post right back if I can't repro…
The more I think about it, the more I think it's related to the desktop behaviour of mouse selects going to the clipboard - linuxy stuff….
Cheers,
J.C.
Ah, OK, with SUSE 9.1, and the latest Houdini 7.0.183 this *appears* to have been fixed. I certainly can't get it to fail yet, and before it was easy. Pete and Mesh see if you can get it to fail with this release when it comes out for your distro…