Search - User list
Full Version: documentation for the mel commands available with the plug i
Root » Houdini Engine for Maya » documentation for the mel commands available with the plug i
grayOlorin
hey guys, where can I get documentation on what commands are available with the engine plug in? so far I have found houdiniEngine and houdiniAsset. I want to write some mel scripts for hooking up meshes to assets, but in order to do so, I need to be able to do things such as return the newly created asset name, etc.

than you!
awong
You probably want to use this to list out the assets from an OTL file:
houdiniAsset -listAssets $assetLibraryFilePath
And use this to instantiate the asset:
houdiniAsset -loadAsset $assetLibraryFilePath $asset

Note that the $asset needs to be the fully qualified asset name. The listAsset flag will return these names if you're unsure. For example:
houdiniAsset -loadAsset “/path/to/SideFX__compactcar.otl” “SideFX::Object/compactcar”
Sadjad Rabiee
awong
You probably want to use this to list out the assets from an OTL file:
houdiniAsset -listAssets $assetLibraryFilePath
And use this to instantiate the asset:
houdiniAsset -loadAsset $assetLibraryFilePath $asset

Note that the $asset needs to be the fully qualified asset name. The listAsset flag will return these names if you're unsure. For example:
houdiniAsset -loadAsset “/path/to/SideFX__compactcar.otl” “SideFX::Object/compactcar”

I was looking for this , Thanks awong
grayOlorin
Yeah andrew! Thank you
grayOlorin
BT Wwould it be possible to add to houdiniAsset a -name flag to be able to specify the created node name (or at least perhaps have it return the created node name)?

thank you!
awong
Hm, “houdiniAsset -loadAsset” should already be returning the new node name. Did you try something like:
$node = `houdiniAsset -loadAsset “/path/to/asset.otl” “Object/foo”`
grayOlorin
Ah I think I know what I was doing wrong. I am using your Mel scrip instead of the command. Let me fix that

Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.