Search - User list
Full Version: houdini without an internet connection?
Root » Houdini Lounge » houdini without an internet connection?
birras
well I got the apprentice-version and was looking forward to a brand new 3d experiments, as somebody at some forum said it was the ultimate workflow..


problem: my workstations run on linux and have no internet connection!!

I was unable to install it!!

so: is it absolutely necessary to have an internet-connection to use it? if it is the case, I cannot use it, and will leave the idea of learning it behind…



what can I do, or whom am I supposed to contact about the matter?

thx in advance
Siavash Tehrani
Go here –> http://license.sidefx.com/get_nc_license.php [license.sidefx.com]
If I remember correctly this addy is mentioned by the license administrator when it fails to connect to the internet.
birras
no..no cando!!!
it keeps asking for an internet connection!! and for my e-mail and “password” :roll:

so: no install possible on my linux workstation without internet connection!! :?

I had it running a couple of month ago (once) , but with an internet connection. I deleted it after an hour of eye blinking.

this time I was going for it for real!!
I downloaded all the videos, watched a couple and took notes and wanted to confirm my knowledge now.. and was ready to rock ?Ln roll tonight..

in my desperation I downloaded the win version and tried to start it on my winXP notebook, with net connection. I optained the key and the licence admin pops up and asks for my e-mail and password :?:
Siavash Tehrani
I don't understand, please explain what happened. Did you go to the website above and get a license? You need to provide the host name and server number of the computer you want to run Houdini on, and it will give you a valid license. You can find this info on the second page of the License Administrator.
uniqueloginname
hi, just ignore the first request for your e-mail and “password”, this is not required and i do not know why it asks. you could just run “hkey” directly to manually add licenses.
birras
ok. problem solved.
thx

for anyone running into the same problem I strongly advice reading the houdini faqs at www.3dbuzz.com
birras
ok. problem solved.
thx

for anyone running into the same problem I strongly advice to read the houdini faqs at www.3dbuzz.com
mstram
DaJuice
Go here –> http://license.sidefx.com/get_nc_license.php [license.sidefx.com]

I can't connect to that link. (Today being Sunday … weekdays only ??)

Correct address???

Mike
stevenong
Hi Mike,

Sometimes the site goes down but it is back up now. Please try again.

Cheers!
steven
mstram
stevenong
Hi Mike,

Sometimes the site goes down but it is back up now. Please try again.

Cheers!
steven

Ok, it came up sometime around noon on Monday, I did manage to connect now I'm up and running !

Mike
birras
localhost.localdomain
Invalid machine name: localhost.localdomain
Im stuck with using it on XP :cry:
altbighead
just ignore everything and open the actual application.say houdini master.for me .. it installed liscence automatically.
birras
it installed liscence automatically.

great
now how did you do it? let me guess, with an internet connection?

when I go to http://license.sidefx.com/get_nc_license.php [license.sidefx.com]

and type my server host: localhost.localdomain

I get the message : invalid machine name:localhost.localdomain

so: I cant get the licence for linux…
igor_donev
In your linux shell type ‘hostname -f’.

Copy output and try that with the license generator.
edward
Do a forum search here for “localdomain”. The basic problem is that hserver/sesinetd won't allow that to be used as a hostname. You need to change that first before trying to get a license.
mstram
http://license.sidefx.com/get_nc_license.php [license.sidefx.com]

Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Temporary failure in name resolution in /var/www/proxy.php on line 162

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to internal.sidefx.com:88 in /var/www/proxy.php on line 162
ERROR: Could not connect to backend server

Down again (for the weekend ??)
Moose
Yup, I'm in the same boat…guess it's going to be a ZBrush weekend for me then.

I thought a recently introduced feature of Houdini was to allow license periods to have a small extension overlap to cater for moments like these?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.