Search - User list
Full Version: difference: copy and duplicate?
Root » Technical Discussion » difference: copy and duplicate?
birras
man, Im feeling so ..%*+?.. ops: asking this:

what is the exact difference between them?

when are they applied, etc. ?

if the topic is covered anywhere (must be)
pls point me to any docs, explaining it :wink:

or just give a short description

thx

I ve read the ? , but Im still not sure when it is appropiate to apply 'em
uniqueloginname
good question, you can also duplicate using the transform SOP
EigenAlex
Copy and Duplicate are doing just about the same thing, Although Duplicate SOP would yield a faster result as it has less tasks to go through. The Duplicate SOP is probably more similar to instancing :?: (I don't think it's true instancing, tho). The Copy SOP does literal copies of the object.

The power of the Copy SOP lies in its ability to do stamping so that you can get completely unrelated geometry copied to its template. This is a very powerful feature, though a bit slow.

If you're going to just do straight on copying (duplication), I'd suggest using Duplicate SOP as you don't need any complicated operations. When you start needing to copy to template or perform copy-stamping operation, then Copy SOP will make it much easier.

Hope that helped.
A
PS: DOn't quote me on what I just said.
the_squid
If you want to make copies of your geometry, duplicate sop will do just fine. If you want to make duplicates of your geometry and then transform each one seperately, use multiple transforms from your original geometry and use the merge sop to merge the transforms together, then you'll have a number of transform sops you can adjust afterward to place your pieces.

The Copy SOP is a beautiful thing once you learn how to use it. If you wanted to make 100 rocks but you want to have each rock be a different shape, use the Copy SOP. Copy SOP allows you to modify any of your geometry attributes for each instance of the copy. It also allows you to use a template as input. So if you wanted to copy geometry to particles, or to any points, you could do it with the copy SOP.

It is hard to get your head around what the copy sop does at first because a person coming from Maya or XSI will not believe what it does is possible. It takes your source geometry and then, for each copy, goes back up through your entire network before the copy and looks for the param() functions you've added. It then replaces the value for each param() function based on an expression you set in the copy. In other words, for each copy you will get a different resulting geometry if you turn stamping on. I'm sure you could find a tutorial on this somewhere… it also allows you to lookup attributes on your template and use those to trigger deformations.

Good luck! Feel free to ask for more detail if you're interested…
the_squid
Just found a pretty decent tutorial on the subject of the copy sop. Check it out:

http://www.grahamdclark.com/Studentresources/tutorials/copyOP/index.html [grahamdclark.com]

This will introduce you to the basics and you can go from there. Houdini is one of the few packages where you could easily make a snowflake and have it actually be unique each time it's copied, just like real snowflakes. Welcome to Houdini!
talos72
Hey, thats a cool little copy tut using the modulus expression! 8)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.