Search - User list
Full Version: Script Editor History Pane - equivalent in Houdini?
Root » SI Users » Script Editor History Pane - equivalent in Houdini?
Sam Howell
Hello

In the Softimage Script Editor there is a History Pane that has a feed of commands of the actions a user performs as they work. Is there an equivalent in Houdini?

Thanks
Andy_23
AFAIK there is nothing like it in Houdini. Can you elaborate what you want to to in more detail? Perhaps there's a different approach in Houdini altogether.

Cheers,
Andy
mandrake0
the textport has the command history but i don't know if the python console has the same.

or do you want something like the maya command history? then the answer is no.
Sam Howell
Thanks for the replies guys.

It's basically like a feed of commands that updates as a user in Softimage works. It's a very useful tool for producing quick scripts to automate common tasks and for understanding the script languages better. I find myself using it all the time.
Andy_23
Hey Sam, I found this video helpful while digging into Houdini scripting.
https://vimeo.com/14612897 [vimeo.com]

I hope it's of help to you too.
Sam Howell
Thanks for link Andy. That will be a great help.

Also time to add a post to the feature request thread.
Cyzor
Jeff Wagner of Side Effects has an interesting explanation about Houdini's design philosophy in this regard:
Most other apps were architected as modellers where they work and update a cache of the geometry. Then you tack on scripts and in some cases you can keep the node tree around to recalculate as required. Ultimately everything ends up in a cache (shape node if you may). This means that some scripts modify the geometry and are not recorded as discrete steps as residual nodes. This means you absolutely need a command echo tool to trap those actions to re-create in a tool or to repeat.
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=31193 [sidefx.com]
Ondrej
Houdini does have some (very) limited support for this in the hscript textport. You can turn on command echoing by running “commandecho on”. This will echo any hscript commands that Houdini runs internally to perform user actions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.