Search - User list
Full Version: Dynamic Operators
Root » Houdini Lounge » Dynamic Operators
the_squid
I have asked SESI… but they're very tight lipped on the subject of their new dynamic operators (DOPs.) Us Houdini artists are all eager to know what these new tools are about and how they'll behave with the rest of Houdini. No amount of me begging SESI has yielded much information on this new toolset… but I have been asking around.

…And I found some answers.

I'm not going to give much away, but from what I've heard Houdini's new RBD's (which will be one of the solvers available in the new toolset) kick some major butt. Infact, Maya artists are already admitting their current tools for rbd's dont come anywhere close to what the Houdini guys have up their sleeves. I haven't heard much about cloth, so I assume that's still being worked on. A fluid solver is also being worked on to ship with later releases of the DOP toolset down the line.

A lot of what I just said is already known… except the whole part about RBD's kicking major butt (which we assumed, but hadnt been confirmed.) Now more than ever I want to know more… for now I'm satisfied knowing the results are already speaking for themselves for those lucky enough to test these new tools.

The rest of us wait in anticipation…
EigenAlex
I've had a chance to see a little bit of DOP stuff about a month or so ago. It does looks pretty sweet. The chainmail + rabbit stuff was pretty sweet.

My guess is that *one* of the reason that SESI can't say much about it is because the tools are still being developed and things changed overtime. So for if a major software company like SESI promised something, but then couldn't deliver it on time as promised, that they'd have issues to deal with. So when things are still changing, no one can promise anything.

Fear not. There's light at the end of the tunnel.

One of the thing I liked about SESI is that they try to make sure that the high priority tools are as production ready as possible instead of something with a half-baked solution.
goldfarb
yeah DOPs are very sweet - still trying to be born - but very promising…
we had a chance to see a bit of a demo a while back and it's cool to get an insight into SESI's intentions…

can't wait
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.