Search - User list
Full Version: How to organize geometry following a pattern?
Root » Houdini Lounge » How to organize geometry following a pattern?
ungria
Hi
Lets say I have a set of 5 different geometry (objects).

I want to position them following a curve or a line or a circle.
Lets say, the object 1 at the point 1 of the curve, the point 2 at the point of the curve at so on.

For example if the pattern is a circle, they would look organized in a circle. But they need to keep being independent objects, because I have arrows point from and to them so I need to know their references.

I can do this using the function point, but I am having problems because I have hundreds of objects (geometry) , I think it is inefficient to write the expression for every single coordinate (X, Y,Z) of every single geometry. The geometry are different therefore I cannot use the copy SOP.

How can I do this? Any ideas? :?

Thanks

Ungria
george
Would Copy stamping help? Here's a link to an old tutorial, but it does still work I think. In conjunction with a Switch SOP, for example, you can use copy stamping to copy different geometry to the various points.

http://www.sidefx.com/community/learn/modeling/legacy/stamping.pdf [sidefx.com]

Take care,
George.
ungria
I need to be able to get the references of the position of each geometry AFTER the copy sop. I need to get them because I have other geometry related to them

Tha is not explained anywhere I have looked at.

Thanks
old_school
Before the Copy SOP, just add an Add Attribute SOP and create a primitive vector attribute, say centroid, and set it to $CEX, $CEY and $CEZ.

The mapping to the attribute should carry through the Copy SOP so you may even be able to use $CENTROID0 1 and 2 further on down the chain.
hoknamahn
ungria, I do not know, which the function of the objects distribution on the geometry. But I think, that this example will give some ideas to you.
Check this scene http://www.cgtalk.ru/~hoknamahn/coord_func.hipnc [cgtalk.ru]
ungria
It gives me a segmentation fault error!

I have been able to see some examples before. Here is the error message I get:

CP evalInt: Invalid parameter name picking
CP evalInt: Invalid parameter name tdisplay
CP evalInt: Invalid parameter name picking
Fatal error: Segmentation Fault
Saving application data to CDOCUME~1/ungria/LOCALS~1/Temp/ungria.hip

I am very new lerning Huodini, I am sorry for asking so much.

Thanks

Ungria
madjestic
I'v tried the scene and everithing works fine. I used Mandrake 10.0 Linux and H7.0.231 by the way
the_squid
You should very easily be able to copy different objects to different points based on point numbers. Is this all you want to do?

By the way the file created by hoknamahn worked fine for me also, and I'm running WindowsXP :cry:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.