Search - User list
Full Version: pop streams logic?
Root » Houdini Learning Materials » pop streams logic?
cgcris
Hi guys,

Attempting to do something with particles in H13, but I am struggling a bit with the logic of streams.

In the attached example you will see I create a second stream, and change the color of a percentage of particles.
What doesn't make a lot of sense to me is if I now then add a force to stream 01, it affects both streams. Even if I specify
on the force to only affect stream 01.

Can somebody explain me why this is?

Thanks,
Cris
tamte
it's because particles are not being removed from the original (source) stream when using POP Stream to define new one, it simply creates new stream which contains subset of particles from input stream
so any modifier applied to source stream will still affect all particles generated by that source
cgcris
Hi Tomas,

Thanks for your reply. I get it now, if I want to divide some particles in two “groups” and control them separately I need to create 2 streams. The first one selecting all particles, and the second selecting a portion of them. I then can add popforce to each stream and they wont affect each other

correct?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.