Search - User list
Full Version: Geforce 6800 with houdini.
Root » Houdini Lounge » Geforce 6800 with houdini.
peliosis
Hi, I'm interested how geforce 6800 works with houdini (I have problems with Ti 4600 and radeon 9700)?
Would it be better to buy 6800 or quadro fx 1400 (which is slower in normal conditions)
I noticed some strange behaviour: on radeon I'm unable to work, and ti 4600 frequently and slowly refreshes icons.

Peter
MatrixNAN
Hey Peter,

Fx 1400 because it has all the OpenGL features in it including refreshing your icons quickly. You are going to have problems with game cards. Houdini is made to work with the highend pro cards.

Cheers,
Nate
stevenong
Hi Peter,

Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers? If you're not, please download it from Nvidia's site to see if it helps.

If you are using the latest Nvidia drivers, there is an environment variable you can set which should fix the redraw issues.

HOUDINI_OGL_DBL_BUFFER_FIX

Set the variable & the value of the variable is 1, which will turn it on, so to speak.

Hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
peliosis
Thanks guys, I'll dig into the subject but as long as many system hangs is coused by gfx card and drivers, maybe quadro would be a better solution.
I've updated the driver and it seems to work ok, thank you.

Cheers

Peter
craiglhoffman
Using 6800 fine with Houdini.

Remember, the 6800 is the only card with Pixel Shader 3.0 available right now. My guess is that if Houdini ever supports real time rendering with VOPs, etc. it will be with Pixel Shader 3.0 capable cards due to the streamless branching and much larger shaders, etc. so buying a card without this technology may not be a good investment.

-Craig
aracid
hey all

im using an average nvidia 5700 ultra
and i get quiet good results, however ive also run a tool called

RivaTuner - a complete powerful tweaking environment

and that over clocks my card to act like a quadro 1100,
and it does seem faster in houdini :-)

now i know there are major performance differences to the actual quadro range, however whats ur take about this ?

aracid
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.