Search - User list
Full Version: Finding Correct Height For Bookshelf Dividers [SOLVED]
Root » Houdini Learning Materials » Finding Correct Height For Bookshelf Dividers [SOLVED]
dustykhan
I have created a simple book shelf with vertical dividers between the shelf's. The issue I am having is working out the height of of the dividers. Currently I am dividing the total height by the point number of the line I am copying to, but this doesn't seem to work.

I have attached the sample file of what I am trying to create.

Any help with this is appreciated!
goldfarb
try this
I've added a few nodes (in red)
walk through the network node by node and compare it to yours…

HTH
dustykhan
Hi arctor,

Thanks for the help, It's definitely tidier then the way I was doing it previously, especially the top of the book shelf!

The issue with the vertical dividers is however still present. So when increasing the total height, the dividers height aren't 100% of the total gap between the shelf's. This to me seems strange as I am dividing the total height by the amount of points creating the shelf's but then when reducing the height by ‘y’ amount they intersect and when increasing above ‘x’ there is a gap.

Is there a way to correct this, or have I missed something within the file you sent?

Thanks!
goldfarb
ah right…
the divider height needs to be the distance between the shelves - so it should be the total height of the bookcase minus the thickness of all the (shelves -1)
I'll try to take another look tomorrow…

oh and you may want to rebuild this with the bottom ‘shelf’ taking up the entire width, instead of being in between the sides…
dustykhan
Brilliant, thanks for the help!

I managed to crack the vertical divider height issue how you suggested!

I have added the file for anybody who wants it

Thanks again!
goldfarb
nice, glad I could help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.