Search - User list
Full Version: wire solver, animating a wire constrained between two object
Root » Houdini Learning Materials » wire solver, animating a wire constrained between two object
cigol
Can anyone point me in the right direction please. I'm wanting to constrain a wire between two points, either of which can then be animated, I've tried a pin wire to surface and changing the type from soft to hard, but it produces a wire that is very erratic.

I'm used to 3DSMAX and its hose object, and am just trying to find something similar to that. Am I missing something simple. I'd appreciate any help you can give :!:
sidenimjay
Here is a simple test I set up for you, hope it helps!
cigol
Thanks for taking the time to help sidenimjay, however it looks like you forgot to add an attachment unless I'm missing something? :?:

edit; oops, looks like its there, my bad. ops:

edit 2; I've had a look at the file, many many thanks for that, it makes sense and everything. The pre-generated wire seems like the way to go, but when it's simulated if I move a null point a certain distance away it starts oscillating wildly. its fine if I hide the autodopnetwork and just view the wire, but then its not simulated as a wire which would be nice.

I have something to work with at the very least though so its not a loss, and like I say, thanks for taking the time - the way the wire is created from points in relation to a null, I've got to start thinking like that, awesome program.

edit: playing around with it some more increasing the angular damping seems to help a lot. I guess it's just a case of tweaking the settings to get something I can trust will work. Got to say thanks again, you are a lifesaver, was driving me mad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.