Search - User list
Full Version: Optimize Houdini
Root » Houdini Learning Materials » Optimize Houdini
Quasari
Hi, I have a very slow PC for CGI (intel core i3-2100,4GB ram,HD7750) but I can work with every tool exept Houdini.It freezes every time I want to do something with higher resolution.It become unresponsive and I have to wait to stop the simulation.Any suggestions?I can´t upgrade my PC at this time so I hope there is something that will help me.Houdini has everything what I need for short action films and I don´t need install any plugins.Help if you can please.Thanks

Sorry for my english.
Quasari
Really nothing?What about Operating System?I'm on windows 7 now.Do I need to install other one?Ubuntu,OSX or CentOS?Or something else?(I know that install more ram would be the right thing but I can't now)
goldleaf
I tend to find Linux far more usable; might be worth installing Ubuntu or Linux Mint along side Windows, and give it a go. You'll want to install the proprietary drivers, the open source ones aren't very performant for Houdini (I'm not 100% sure if it's different from Nvidia under Ubuntu, but if you google around, I'm sure there is a wiki page that has info).

Apart from that, flat shaded or wire shaded tend to run slightly faster.

One tactic for heavy scenes: set the cook mode to manual, so that changes will only happen when you click the button (See the gif below).

Hope those ideas help!
Quasari
Thnaks.I will install ubuntu later.Before a while I tried to make a flak gun that will shoot on the aircraft but houdini crashed when modeling the gun.And also it crashesh every time I close it.Hope that Ubuntu will help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.