Search - User list
Full Version: avi from apprentice ?
Root » Technical Discussion » avi from apprentice ?
hande
hi all, i have a dumb question to ask, how do you get avi's out of houdini?
i am new, and i'd appreciate as much detail as possible if at all possible. please help.
thanks
hande
EigenAlex
Hiya,

Houdini itselt can't output .avi per se. The only movie you can output is Houdini Movie format (.hmv). So to speak, you'd have to use other applications to assembles your sequences of images into a single movie format.

Cheers,
Alex
stevenong
hande
hi all, i have a dumb question to ask, how do you get avi's out of houdini?
i am new, and i'd appreciate as much detail as possible if at all possible. please help.
thanks
hande
Hi,

No, your question is not dumb & it has been answered here [sidefx.com].

Cheers!
steven
EigenAlex
whoa! Freakin' neat. Gotta jot that down in my technote.
hande
thank you very much, really. but after i type in what's suggested in that earlier post into the command line tools thing, i am getting a message there that says *…is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.*
here's what i'm typing in
cd/dc/mydocuments
and then,
mcp-f1300filename.$F.tiff-o-r1-w320-h240filename.avi
and then i get that message.

now.
at one point i succeeded in getting 300 tiff frames into a folder, but it consisted of all black frames with only the first frame recorded right.
(so i actually have another problem with animations besides the fact that i can't get an avi).
and this only happened once. now i'm only getting the first frame as a tiff file into a folder. so that might be the reason why i'm getting a weird message.
sorry to bother you again, but a little more help will be deeply appreciated.
hande

p.s. i don't know if this matters, but i have the apprentice version.
goldfarb
make sure that the Houdini\bin folder is in your ‘path’ environment variable.
also, and this just might be the way it looks in your post, make sure that you put spaces inbetween mcp and each of the flags/arguments
because this:
mcp-f1300filename.$F.tiff-o-r1-w320-h240filename.avi

is all one word…which will not work

it should be:

mcp -f 1300 filename.$F.tiff -r 1 -w 320 -h 240 -o filename.avi

hope this helps (never done it before so… :roll: )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.