Search - User list
Full Version: Geometry Caching to a .lwo file using HE 1.9 API fails.
Root » Houdini Engine API » Geometry Caching to a .lwo file using HE 1.9 API fails.
gwcSoftware
In the documentation describing Geometry Caching in HE, the list of formats supported include lw and lwo.

When I try to cache my geometry using the HAPI_SaveGeoToFile() function and specifying a filename ending in .lwo I get a zero length file.

If I cache the same geometry to an .obj or .bgeo file then I get the file created properly and can load the file into lightwave using the .obj file.

Should Houdini 14.0.361 support caching geometry to the .lwo format?
damian
Hmm, that's odd. It works for me. Make sure you pass “lwo” to HAPI_SaveGeoToFile() and not “.lwo”.

It's also worth asking what type of license do you have. There might be some restrictions that I'm not aware of - shouldn't be a problem but want to rule it out.
gwcSoftware
I'm a bit confused. SaveGeoToFile() requires a filename and the extension determines the format that is saved according to the docs. And this works with the other formats that I tried. But with a filename with an extension of .lwo produces a zero length file form me.

How do you specify the format “lwo” without using the ‘.lwo’ file extension.

I haven't tried the SaveGeoToMemory() where you specify the format differently.

I have the Indie license.

I'll try this again when I get a chance.

Gil
damian
I just meant that when you specify an extension you do not need the “.” preceding the extension name. So you can just pass “obj” as the file format/extension, instead of “.obj”, for example.

Regardless, I see now that even Houdini has a problem saving LightWave files. If you just create a File SOP and try to save a .lwo file it also has 0 size. I would therefore suggest you file a bug with our support as this is no longer an Engine issue. It's better if you submit the bug so that our support can track it and inform you when the bug is fixed.

Here's some info on submitting bugs:
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=38189 [sidefx.com]
gwcSoftware
A support ticket has been opened on this issue: #28396
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.